Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

I'm packing my tiny stapler, putting on my red shoes, clicking my heels together and .........

Search

I'm packing my tiny stapler, putting on my red shoes, clicking my heels together and .........

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAYING <b>&quot;I WISH I WERE IN AFRICA!&quot;</b>

OHMIGOSH - it came true!!! Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore!!! Toto? Now where did Toto go?? Oh yes, I know, he's on Mt Kilimanjaro which rises above the Serengeti!! (hmmmm)

Anyhow, I say strange things when I haven't had supper and it's almost bedtime - but...

We are going back, and sooner rather than later - OHMIGOSH I just can't believe it!

So this is what happened. I was working with Kennedy on a safari, as you guys know, with our son and his girlfriend, for November. Well, out of all of the kids in the world I had to have, I had to have a responsible one, who said , 'no, can't do it right now, mom, I have to pay off that school debt (commercial pilot). So, I kind of dropped everything for a bit and thought 'I'll think about it later'. He wouldn't even let us pay for it.

In the meantime, the person that I do the majority of the bookkeeping for, told me Nov was a rotten month for me to be away, spring would be better. I just looked at her - 'what? I said, put together a trip in less than a year? Can't be done...'

I thought to myself 'I'll think about it later' and meanwhile because I am INCAPABLE of saying no to anyone who wants their books done, I found myself up to my ying yang buried in work. Haven't had a day off since Christmas, and many days are 12 hr days. I was tired last week, reading my email when I saw one from Fran at Micato telling me about this incredible trip that they just happened to have space left on &amp; would we be interested????

I printed off the itinerary, took it upstairs to Jim and he said 'Book'it, Dano!' Next day I called our air TA here, he said, yes there were flights (one is a pretty tough flight, but he's working on getting that changed as we speak), and my boss said yes, I could go. She nixed the three weeks that I wanted, but she did say two would be OK. I feel so loved.

It just fell into place!! So, off we go on the Hemmingway Wing Safari with Micato again!!! I just can't beleive it! (last two weeks of May)

Some of the places we went last year, but that's OK, they will be at different lodges/camps - but here it is

Nairobi - Norfolk Hotel
Samburu - Larsen's
Mara- The Mara Safari Club
Serengeti - Serena
Ngorongoro - Serena
Lake Manyara - Serena

So, two new places for us (Samburu and lake Manyara) I just can't tell you excited I am on this!!!!

We had hoped to go to Zanzibar to just sit on that balcony, watch the ocean and eat lobster, but that is what I had to cut out when Sandra nixed the third week. The inquiry last night (about the price) was to see if it was worth going two days early, as the way it is working out we are not leaving until Sunday night, so I thought, well, who says you can't do Zanzibar BEFORE the safari? (we could leave Friday night). Then I thought, no, too busy, too much, too little time and that perhaps I just had to accept the fact that we have to go back next year in order to go to Zanzibar again!

I just can't beleive it - three months - wow, I usually take a year or two to plan and get ready for a trip!

So, my first question on last minute trips - has anyone ran into a problem with 5 months left on their passport going to Esat Africa?

I know some places say six months, our passports expire on OCt 7th, but it is not such an easy thing to get a passport here at this moment - lineups are over four hrs long to get them, as every one and their dog has to have a passport here now in order to go the the US. If I don't have to do it, I'd rather not. Any experience in this from anyone?

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:23 PM

CONGRATULATIONS LYNDA!!
Can't wait to read your next report!
You can get your passport renewed using an expeditor service. Costs a bit but at least you'd be safe.
WOO HOO!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM

Lynda,

Awesome news!

Always a great thing when someone finds out they are going to Africa sooner than expected.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO GIRL GO
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:33 AM

Wow, how exciting! But doesn't such a rapid trip detract a little from all the planning, anticipation, and anxiety?

Speaking of anxiety, I am not normally on Fodor's at 3:30 a.m., which is what time it is here in Texas right now, but I can't sleep worrying about what do we do about Oliver's Camp closing because of all the rain. We are (or were) supposed to be at Oliver's on Feb. 25-26, so our agent is scrambling trying to find an alternative place for us to stay. He just e-mailed and said Tarangire Treetops may be available, and he is checking. I also told him that if it is practical from a driving standpoint (all the way from Arusha in one day?), then Kisima Ngeda and the bushman experience might be another option. What do y'all think? Any other ideas (although at this point maybe we ought to be happy with any warm bed)?

BTW, loved the somewhat esoteric &quot;Toto/Kilimanjaro rising above the Serengeti&quot; reference, which seems especially appropriate what with all the rains in Africa.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Oh, but you are such a packing pro - I'd bet you could be ready tomorrow, if you had to be!

Congratulations on your quick return!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:06 AM

We got new passports even though we had 5 months left. I understand that the flights before taking off need that confirmation of 6 months remaining after return date(per our travel agent but I am no expert).
I didn't want to chance the miss of a trip.
We managed to only wait 3 months before the big rush now. Good luck.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM
sandi

That's wonderful. You actually beat me for closer trips that I manage for myself. I was last May/June and still fussing about on the coming May/June itinerary. You know the shoeman... can figure it out for my clients, but it comes to me I keep putting it off.

As to passport, you have sufficient time between now and end-May to get yours renewed. Can't advise re Canada, but renewals are usually faster; sure hope they can do this in 3/months. Just be sure to indicate you are departing &quot;beginning&quot; May. It may put a fire under their butts!

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 06:39 AM

You did it!!!

As for the passports, you <i>can</i> do it by mail or courier rather than waiting in line at a passport Canada office...it'd take about 4 weeks:
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/can/submit.aspx?lang=e

OR

You <i> could </i> have a third party submit your application for you if you can find someone willing to stand in line for you:

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/help/faq.aspx?lang=e&amp;id=165

Canadian passports are not renewable, so the process starts at square 1 every 5 years (for adults).

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 06:57 AM
sandi

Calo -

Didn't know the Canadian passports weren't renewable. Learn something new always on Fodor's. Tnx.

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:16 AM

I no sooner red the words tiny stapler and knew it had to be you.

Congrats! What a Valentines present!

I learned something about Canadian passports too. If I were you, and the rules are the passport must be valid for 6 months, I'd get it renewed. Can you use a passport service? I have some references for a couple that I could look up and I'm sure others can provide them or maybe you've used one.

No Zanzibar this time guarantees you a third trip someday. How well things have worked out.

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:57 AM
bat

Lynda--that is great!!

hguy not just Toto as in the musical group--there was, of course, the Wizard of Oz, but also Gone with the Wind, and Hawaii 5-0 all thrown in. Hard to keep up wihe all of her pop culture references.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Lynn - Did you write &quot;red&quot; on purpose?? ;-)
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Fantastic, Lynda. I am very, very happy for you. Get cracking on that passport.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM

LyndaS

I am relatively new to the site - but had previously enjoyed your packing list and replies. So even I knew immediately who was &quot;packing my tiny stapler!!&quot;

As for the passport - the same rules apply to Costa Rica and we had to get new ones last year as they would have expired about 4-5 months after our return.

We are CDN eh!! and I feel for you - because of the waiting time - but you do have time even if you mail in your application. (just make sure you get it done soon!!)

Good luck and CONGRATULATOINS!!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:21 AM

Congrats, Lynda!

The Tanzania Embassy website mentioned a 6 month passport validity requirement, so I'd get it renewed to be on the safe side.

hguy47,
I'd be tempted to stay at Kisima Ngeda since that seems like a unique experience and from recent reports it doesn't sound like the game viewing is good at Tarangire right now. Good luck and have a great trip whatever you decide!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Congrats Lynda. Quick question about your itinerary. Is the order you posted of the locations correct? The reason I ask is that we might run into eachother. I'll be in Tanzania from May 15/16th (can't remember) until the 21st, ending in Serengeti. Keep us posted.

Juliet
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Yikes, Lynda....I just read this on the Canadian passport site:

<i>Passport Canada is experiencing a sharp volume increase in passport applications in all of its offices, by mail and through its receiving agents. Please note that we are also experiencing, <b>up to 25 business days delays</b> in addition to our service standards when delivering your new passport.</i>
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I did not write red on purpose. But I can figure out why I made that error.

Lynda, let us know how the passport goes.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou so much guys for all your wonderful responses!

Bat, you are so quick, my goodness, I didn't even realize I had thrown in all the pop culture references! But how did I miss
'say hello to my little friend....'

Thanks everyone for all the advice on the passports, I think we would be crazy not to get new ones then, as we would only have 5 months left.

So, I shall bite the bullet and apply on-line tonight, which apparently will give me 'priority jump the line status' on the application end. (and that's when someone else who has waited for 6 hrs says to me 'say hello to my little friend....)

To explain to the US of A people, Calo is right, we cannot renew our passport, the ONLY way to get a new passport is to fill out an application, get specific head shots taken (must be specific size, shadow free, no white T-shirts, and MUST be done by a certified passport photo place), get a professional such as a doctor, lawyer, etc to 'guarentee' that they have known you for two years &amp; that you are you (they must sign the back of the photo &amp; the lengthy guarantor section on the application), list two references who have known you for umpty-umpt years (who they do really phone), put it together with your ORIGINAL, or CERTIFIED copy of your birth cert (obtainable only from a different dept of our gov't) &amp; Canadian citizenship papers if applicable (no lamenated copies of anyhting are accepted).

And that's just to get started. Then we get to go into one of only 5 passport offices in the entire lower mainland and face the line ups because although everyone knew they would have to have a passport as at Jan 24th to travel to the US, no one did it until then, I guess.

From there it takes usually 1 week to get your passport back (can be mailed or picked up) but as Calo mentioned - 25 business days! OHMIGOSH!

So, I am taking Sandi's advice that she has mentioned numerous times to others - we will get our Kenya visas upon arrival. Tanzania, well, I will have to check with Micato, I don't want to delay anyone in our group just because I didn't have time to pre-do the visa.

Last year it was 3 weeks there &amp; back to get the visa for Tanzania, so 25 business days and three wekks, hmmmm, we may make it!

Patti, thanks for the info, I couldn't find the embassy website for Canada, but I looked up the US one and I see what you mean.

Juliet - that would be fabulous if we in the same camp/lodge one night!!!!

Here's the nights-
Larsens - May 18/19
Mara Safari Club May 20/21
Serengeti Serena - May 22/23
Ngorongoro Serena - May 24 (hey, that's our son's birthday!)
Lake manyara Serena - May 25/26

Would love to meet up!!

I'll let everyone know how theon-line application goes tonight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -