Search

I'm off to Kirkman's!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm off to Kirkman's!

I just want to thank everyone who helped me with my decisions and questions regarding Kirkman's Kamp. We will be flying up to Joburg on Thursday, spend a few nights with family and then travel to Kirkman's next Sunday for our 3 night stay.

I booked rooms 12, 13 and 14 for our visit. Another bonus is that I managed to get Giles Kelmanson to be our ranger for the duration of our stay!

Thanks again and I know we'll enjoy every minute we spend in the bush!!

KL
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:10 AM

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:27 AM

I'm sure you will have a great time. I see from CCA's website that there were wild dogs spotted there as recently as Nov 29th - so hope you get some good photos gt;

Enjoy!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lynn, I think I will love every moment of my trip!

Dana,

Yeah! But you know that with wild dogs it's a lot of hit-and-miss! I just wish they could've come a week later... But I'm holding thumbs!! Did you read Battle at Kirkman's? Awesome! The Tjellahanga Male leopard is becoming a legend at Kirkman's and at Mala Mala!

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM

Have the most awesome time, I am so jealous, I really feel like a week in the bush but with a 1 year old little boy there is no way we can do the malaria areas!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:20 AM

Hi KL

Lucky you! Have never been to Kirkmans Kamp, but have been reading their CCA Wildwatch and they have had some fantastic gameviewing! The Selati Pride lionesses and the Tjellahanga Male leopard (I think) had a huge battle and the leopard did not back away which is amazing, especially when he is blind or as good as in one eye!

Lucky you again getting Giles, a great ranger, that my niece and I had the pleasure of being guests in his vehicle in January 2007. Be sure to ask him for the capture of a Rock Monitor a la Steve Irwin style - I was so surprised at him leaping from the vehicle, that I never got a photo and my niece failed to get it on video.

You will enjoy every minute and if you remember tell Giles that Kaye from Australia says Hi and I may see him when I am at MalaMala in just under 2 weeks.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doogle and KayeN!

KayeN,

I am keeping my thumbs crossed that I see both the Selati lions and the Chellahanga male leopard! Possible wild dogs?? One never knows what you'll see around the next corner...
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

KL

Please say hi to Giles from me also.

Matt
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM

I have just seen the video of the Lion / Leopard battle on a local programme here in South Africa called 50/50 tonight - reviting stuff. You can read the full interaction on the wildwatch website. http://www.wildwatch.com/sightings/battle-of-kirkmans.
Have an awesome trip.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM

Hi Kaye,

Just saw the wildwatch site ..... pretty amazing and what a cheeky leopard he is!!!

Also saw the cyberdiary, hope the Roller coaster male lion pulls through the tough times. Isn't he the pride male of Eyerfield? Very important for the cubs.

Your camera and gear all ready?

Rgds
Hari
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM

Hi KL

I am always hoping wild dog will be around the next corner - one day it will be true! Giles is pretty good with Pangolin sightings as well!

Kind regards

Kaye

Hi Hari

Cheeky was not the first word that came to mind! If it had been the Styx Pride, I think he would be with us no more!

Yes, the Eyrefield Pride cubs and Styx Pride cubs, if still around, would both be reliant on the Rollercoaster Male - so for him to be around, fit and fighting, may not be realistic!

Kind regards

Kaye