Search

How to call US?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to call US?

Hi, my trip to Egypt will finally come on 9/4/06. My only concern now is if I will be able to call to New York from there. Besides using hotel phone line which is probably super expensive, is there a better way to call US from Egypt? Phone card?
Please adv.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 02:00 AM

You can purchase phone cards (like MCI, but I think it's a different company) at various places. Most markets will have them. I think you can get them in a couple of differnt $ values.

You just scrape off the code on the back and follow the directions.

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:39 AM

Type in "cell" or "cellphone" in the search and you will come up with a number of threads.

Or go to the Eurpope forum and do the same and you will find lots.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 02:31 PM

Shinban,

If you have an international phone, buy a SIM card in Egypt. They're relatively inexpenive and will allow you to call home on you're cell phone. To call internationally from Egypt (at least on a cell phone), hold zero down until a plus sign appears, dial 1 and then the area code and phone number. If your phone is not internationally compatible, then A) buy one in Egypt that is (and will work in other countries as well). They cost 40 (190) dollars at a Radio Shack, including the SIM card, and all you need to do is buy the minutes, or B) do use a calling card.

Laura
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. I can't use a cell phone because I don't own one (I know it's hard to believe especially I am in NYC). I will buy phone cards then.
Grcxx3 (or anyone), when you say "markets", you mean the markets in Egypt, right?

Thanks again!

shinban
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:12 AM

Phone cards are quite easy to use. You should be able to get them at any grocery/market. They are also probably available at most of the little corner kiosks that sell drinks,snacks, etc.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:05 AM

Oh = and yes, I meant markets and stuff in Cairo.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Grcxx3,

I will do what you suggest. Thanks for making me feel more comfortable before the trip. I have been worried so much!

Thank you thank you!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:58 AM

No need to worry! You will have a fabulous time. Egypt is a special, magical, exciting place.....and I loved the years we spent there. The people are so friendly and willing to do anything for you (some for a price, some for free!).

Just keep an open mind and a sense of humor.....those 2 things will get you past any inconveniences that may pop up!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:40 PM

I suggest trying www.ekit.com, it sells prepaid phone time with extremely reasonable rates in almost any country in the world, you can probably check the rates on their website. I have not used ekit in Africa, but used it extensively on travels through Europe, Australia and New Zealand. It's easy to recharge as well.