How much spending money?

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much spending money?

We are about eight weeks out from our two week trip to Tanzania and Zanzibar. Can anyone give me an idea of how much spending money we will need? The travelers are me, my husband, and our thirteen-year-old son. I know it is subjective, but I need some idea of what we need, so if anyone would be willing to share how much they bring, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Carrie
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:47 AM
sandi

Assuming your trip has been prepaid, then what's left are the tips for guides, drivers, camp staff, etc. Also, beverages at those lodges/camps where drinks aren't included - can be from soft drinks, beers, alcohol, etc.

There are lots of threads on the tipping subject, that a search on this board will bring up to use as a guideline. Then, it's whatever additional for trinkets/souvenirs.

Some camps and shops take credit cards as payment for beverages and gifts, but expect a surcharge at some places for doing so.

In Tanzania/Zanzibar you can use USD or Euro as payment. It's not necessary to convert to Tanzanian Schillings.

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Average Tips Per Day? $35 x 14 nights? = $490, but let's call it $500.

Visas Upon Arrival? = $50? pp = $150

General Spending Money = $70 per day x 14 nights = $980, let's call it $1000

Extra tours, internet at hotel?, drinks, etc. = $500?

Emergency Money = $350?

Total = $2500

Just my opinion after returning from a similar trip last month.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM

For my 2005 trip to Tanzania, which included 13 days on safari and 4 days in Zanzibar, I budgeted $400 cash plus extra for souvenirs. This covered tips everywhere, bottled water, and laundry. Your trip appears to be shorter, so you could do with less, I suppose. In Zanzibar, you should be able to use credit cards everywhere, except for tips. I wasn't charged an extra fees for use of a card. At Farmhouse, while on safari, they preferred we use a credit card to settle our bills for extras.

Your safari company should have given you tipping guidelines for the guides, camp staff, etc. There may be additional times when you'll want to tip, as well. Try to sit down and figure out how much you'll need from that. For instance, if you are with your guide for 10 days and they recommend $10 pppd, then you could do a combined tip at the end of the safari of $300 for all of you. If you need $5 pppd for camp staffs and you're at a camp for 2 days, then plan on leaving $30. From this, you can figure out the size bills you need to take. Given that you can combine tips for three people, you may not need as many small bills as some people take. Plan to take a little extra, as there is always one more Maasai beaded bracelet you've just got to have! You may also get to visit a school and will want to leave them a donation.

Make sure that the cash you take is the latest version, i.e., "the big heads". Also, make sure that the bills are not marked or torn in any way, as the Tanzanians can't cash them at their banks.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Hi Carrie,
Alot will depend on the types of camps or lodges that your staying at and whether or not you have cocktails, expect to have laundry done etc. Perhaps you can tell us where your staying and give more info.

We mostly stayed at camps that did not use credit cards and were made to pay cash for mostly everything including our one bottle of wine with dinner tab. Also, we shopped at mostly road side Maisai villages who also would accept cash only.

By day 10 we had spent the 1000. USD that we brought and had to tip our guide with Tanz. cash.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I'm getting a better idea of what we will need. We will be staying:
one night Arusha Hotel
two nights Tarangire Safari Lodge
one night Ngorongoro Serena
one night Serengeti Serena
three nights Kirawira
one night Tembo
two nights Matemwe Bungalows

We don't drink (any more O ) Is that where a lot of people's spending money goes?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM

For me, it's the tips...guides, camp staff, porters, etc. On safari, most of your costs are included, except drinks with meals (that includes bottled water and sodas, which are usually extra) and laundry. Souvenirs would be extra, as well.

In Zanzibar, we had to buy extra meals (dinner in Stonetown and lunch at our beach resort.) Those would be extra, but you could probably charge those. Do you plan to book any tours once in Zanzibar? Will you be able to charge those? The nicer shops in Stonetown, such as Memories of Zanzibar, will take credit cards with no problem.

If you are free for dinner in Stonetown, try the Monsoon Restaurant by the Forodhani Gardens. It's right around the corner from Tembo House, on the outside of the tunnel. You sit on pillows on the floor and the Swahili fare is excellent. Another great experience is the rooftop restaurant at Emerson's and Green. Although you aren't staying there, your tour company might be able to book you a reservation. It's a bit spendy (about $30), but the view across the rooftops at sunset is great. Then, the sounds from the Islamic mosque, the Christian church, and the Hindu temple begin to mingle, much as the diverse population of Zanzibar does...fabulous!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Carrie,
Other than tips, I found it really difficult to spend money on safari and really easy to spend on Zanzibar. I'm not a huge shopper, though, so I didn't get many trinkets. I do drink but was so exhausted in the evenings that I think the most I ever managed was 2 glasses of wine. Of course, this changed on Zanzibar.

Take more than you think you'll need to be on the safe side, but I don't think you need to go crazy.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:40 AM
sandi

Memories of Zanzibar is wonderful... and it's air conditioned.

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Can anybody provide some general price ranges for common goods? For example, how much does a bottle of water cost? bottle of coke? candy bar? film? Also, what sort of prices are you paying for common souvenirs? T-shirts, carvings, etc...

Also, my operator, Roy has specified one bottle of wate per person per day. It doesn't sound like enough if it's hot. Would it be worthwhile to have them throw in an extra case of bottled water and just pay the cost of it up front?

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 11:50 AM

lifelist, I can't really remember other than the overly general, "Prices were about the same as here," (SF). Someone who's traveled with Roy can probably answer your water question.

And another question, how much, when visiting a school or orphanage is an appropriate donation? As we'll be bringing cash and didn't do this last time, I'd like to know how much to factor in there.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 02:22 PM
sandi

You can always stop in the market before leaving Arusha to pick up goodies - water (though there is plenty at the lodges/camps where you stop) chips, etc. But remember not to keep munchies in your tents as critters have a way of sniffing out from great distances. Prices in the market are very reasonable.

June is going into the Tanzanian winter so temps during the days are mild, mid-60s, maybe low 70s. Evenings are cooler down to 50. Zanzibar, however, will be hot and humid.

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Can anyone suggest the best way to catty around all this cash? Those wads of $100 singles are mighty bulky.

I read in one strand about putting them in separate envelopes - but where do you stash the envelopes so they don't get stolen?

9 Weeks to go before our departure - it is still not real!

THanks
Carol
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 04:30 PM

carol-put them at the bottom of your camera bag or backpack and never let that out of your sight or left in the tent. i wouldn't put them in the front pocket, even if zippered, it's best to bury them on the bottom. Then put something on top of the envelope (camera, sweater, poncho) to hide it.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:23 AM

csuss:

I would obtain one of the Eagle Creek or other brand security wallets. They run from 8 - $13.00 (www.magellans.com). I have two and use both. One type you wear around your waist. The other is a neck pouch. The neck pouch holds a lot of bills (I take $3,000) with me and hides under a shirt or sweater. You can adjust it to wear it low enough that it will tuck into a waistband. When I get to my lodge or tented camp I put the security wallet and my passport in the lodge safety deposit boxes or safe and just carry enough money for using several days at a time. The night before I leave the lodge/camp I obtain my passport and money and sit down and make out envelopes for tips for camp staff. Don't carry a lot of cash around with you daily and don't leave cash in a suitcase, even one that is locked.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:34 AM
sandi

A fresh stack of 100 $1 isn't all that fat, but with fresh bills, its separating them is a pain. You should get bills that have at least been used, but not torn, folded or having been washed in jeans!

I don't take nearly the amount as Jan, but whatever I do have with me (usually less than $1,000) is separated in my bag, as is my wallet, credit cards and important papers. If staying somewhere for more than a day, I put what I don't need (passport, airline tickets, credit cards, cash that I don't need) in the camp/lodge safe. I only keep a small amount of currency with me during the day. In the evening when I change to a smaller bag for dinner, whatever isn't in the safe, gets transferred to the smaller bag.

Traveling with three people, divide your currency between you; just be sure everyone knows where they put/have these bundles. It's not difficult to carry the funds you need and keep it safe. Just be smart about it.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Regarding Leely's question about donations to schools or orphanages:

I don't think they expect any particular amount; it's just what you wish to donate, be it $20, $50 or whatever you can afford. They have so little at the schools, not even enough teachers. When I visited a primary school in Karatu, they carefully noted each donation in a ledger. Also, even though the school was on holiday (June), some students were there, studying for exams. We were able to visit with them. Much of the teaching staff and even some of their school board was there to welcome us. Donations from visitors do much to assist them, so I'm sure that they go the extra mile to make you feel welcome.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM

ShayTay, thank you!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the response guys - I assumed the lodges have safes but do the teneted camps have someplace secure to stow our passports & cash as well?

carol
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM

I wouldn't count on safes everywhere. I just use a moneybelt under my clothes, wearing it in the back. I hardly know it's even there. The suggestion of keeping it in the bottom of your camera bag is a good one, too, if you keep the bag with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -