How far in advance to book ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We hope to do a safari trip on the Northern circuit in Tanzania likely in February. Perhaps 10 to 12 days. This will be an upper end trip but not luxury. Some lodges and some tent camps. We haven't got an itinerary firmed up as yet. How far in advance should we book in order to get the accommodation we want ? There will be 4 of us.
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Galiano you are not too early to start now. There are people posting already booking into March of 2007. I've booked a trip for end Dec early January earlier this month.

Took me 2 months to firm up itinerary, decide on camps, get quotes. Suggest using the board here and doing searches on Tanzania and "circuit" and you should get some good details.

March is a busy time in Tazania as the migration is in Southern Serengeti--- well if we could only predict it for sure!

So --- chop chop... get moving!
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:16 PM

Just saw that you've been doing some work on this already. Sandi had some very good advice to consider for an itinerary in her response to questions about flying and time at a single camp spot. Attaching link to message trail here. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34801228
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Lovetodiscover : Thanks for your help. I suspected that we need to book at least 6 months out if we are to get the lodgings and itinerary we want. So I've been lurking on this board and posting the occasional message. Now I better get serious ! We've travelled a lot - maybe 40 - 50 countries and we've been to some unusual places, but this trip is still somewhat daunting. Getting the itineray right seems less than easy. My approach will be to get an approximate route and then turn it over to local outfitters for a quote and their suggestions. This is such an exciting destination ! ! So thanks again for your input.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Galiano we just paid a deposit for a trip in Feb 2007. It has taken us a few months to get things sorted out and even at this point we could not get all the accomidations we origianlly wanted. So I guess once you know this is what you really want there is no point not to go ahead and book! Happy planning!
J
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:27 AM

February is calving season in the Serengeti. As long as you know you're committed to this trip, I'd start the booking process now.
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM

We have traveled to South Africa and Botswana and now to Tanzania. We made all reservations through our travel expert. The most popular camps book up over a year in advance. Start now!
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Galiano,

Februrary is such a good time for Tanzania that I'd book as soon as you can because the rest of the world will be doing so. Also with 4 of you, that's two sets of accommodations that you'll need at each location and with your trip being upper end, some of the camps are small and will fill up fast.

Booking early means you choose what you want not get stuck with what's left.

Would like like to post your unfirmed up itinerary for the experts to assist?
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I really need to work on an itinerary ( which isn't all that easy ! ) Once I get a rough idea I'll come back for all your expert help.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:23 PM
santharamhari

Yes, booking ahead is a great idea. Especially, since you seem very keen on your trip. Just check the booking procedures with your operator/agent.

Hari

Old May 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM
bat

galiano:
yes, start right away. I booked 10 months in advance for Feb 06 and had to juggle some dates for availability (needed 2 rooms/tents just like you).

You have looked at Eben's maps for the migration in Feb? I highly recommend the seasonal camps--we used Nomad. For Feb you will want the Ndutu area and the Seronera valley for sure.