How do you get to Maun?

Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

How do you get to Maun?

Doing some research to get to Maun but am hitting roadblocks on Expedia, Travelocity and Cheaptickets. I can use ff miles from Honolulu to SFO and cheapest from there to Johannisburg is $1318.00 ($1562.00 from SFO-Amsterdam-JNB) Going the other way, HNL-Sydney-JNB=$3283 so thats out. The problem is I can't find any flights from JNB to Maun on those sites, always comes up flights not available, so how can I find out the cost? AirBotswana website doesn't list prices yet.
Thanks,
Dennis
Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:33 PM

Left at Albuquerque?

Kidding--I hope someone can really help you. Happy holidays, Dennis.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 01:29 AM

Dennis,

The flight from Joburg to Maun is around 1500 Pula one way. Not sure what currency you are working so will leave you to do the conversion. That was the price when i left Bots on the 10th December. This was through walking in to the office in Maun rather than going through an agent and paying commission.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 01:50 AM

If you can't find any direct flights between Jo'burg and Maun (though many exist) you can also fly via Gaberone as we did on one leg on one of our trips as a direct flight wasn't available on the date.
Dec 23rd, 2005, 02:29 AM

Dennis

Air Bots have the monopoly on scheduled flights on this route. Their prices are in Pula ex-Botswana (as backtoAfrica states) but in South Africa Rand ex-Johannesburg.

Fare depends a bit on season and what seats are left, but they're surprisingly expensive. Return fare is better than two one ways (as normally the case for flights) so are you coming back from Maun as well?

One way on 24th Jan just as an example is R1390 plus taxes, giving a grand total of R1750. Roughly speaking this is about US$270.

Are you booking your safari through an operator in Africa as they should have nett fares with Air Bots and be able to offer at a discounted rate as part of your package for this leg (Jnb-Maun) on its own.

Alternatively US or UK tour operators booking the whole package from start to finish should get the Jnb-Maun leg at a very reasonable rate as an 'add-on' to the international fare. This is certainly the case with BA out of London where the 'add-on' Jnb-Maun fare is half the cost of buying it as a stand-alone fare.

Although tour operators tend to sell the safari section at the same cost as you buying it direct yourself, it's normally possible to give good information on routings and offer a good price right through to the final destination and therefore save you money overall.

Flying via Gaborone with Air Bots is also possible but is a bit of a pain due to the extra time and cost. Avoid it if you can. Some days of the week in their summer (our winter) it is only possible to fly via Gabs.

Hope this all makes sense?

Yours, Richard
Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:37 AM
sandi

Dennis - As Richard indicates - if you require a r/t JNB/Maun/JNB your ground outfitter should be able to obtain for you at a reduced price.

Rarely, have I seen a direct routing from the States (even Hawaii) including the JNB/Maun/JNB leg. Though Cheaptickets has often shown this routing separate from an Int'l flight.

Check with your ground operator what they can do; compare with a Cheapticket price is they have one listed.

Search this Thread