How do I get to Rwanda?

Aug 20th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

How do I get to Rwanda?

Next June,three of my friends and I will be going on safari to Tanzania.This part of the trip ends in the Western Serengeti at the Kirawira Tented Camp.Our tour operator wants to charter a flight from Grumeti to Nairobi,then a scheduled flight to Entebbe, followed by a 2.5 hr. drive to Volcanoes National Park. This seems like a round-about-way of getting to Rwanda.What are my options?
Aug 20th, 2005, 01:42 AM

I'd go via Kigali - its a shorter drive to Parc National des Volcans (PNV) and the road is, in my opinion, better. It would also save a visa for Uganda and an extra border crossing. It might be pushing things to get from Grumeti to PNV in a day via Entebbe as the Uganda \ Rwanda border closes quite early. There are scheduled flights Nairobi -> Kigali using Rwandair Express (Kenyan Airways codeshare).

Are you flying into Grumeti ? If so, consider a drive out to Arusha (if there is a vehichle available) - its a days safari in its own right - then O\Night there and catch scheduled flights Kilimanjaro --> Nairobi --> Kigali - you could be in the PNV by the evening.
Aug 20th, 2005, 04:58 AM
sandi

When we were recently in Tanzania we heard something about the "closing of the Grumeti airstrip" - whether this is true or when, I cannot say. They seem to want to repair the runway at Grumeti, so closing it maybe the only way.

However, the drive from Grumeti to Arusha is a long bumpy one* and might actually necessitate an overnight midway; or an overnight in Arusha before continuing to NBO.

*even longer if you stop for game viewing along the way.

Whether it has to be Charter from Grumeti to Nairobi or not, I know that there were special fares for a through flight from Grumeti (via Arusha/Kili) to Nairobi in '05. So I'd check whether it is actually a charter or a scehduled flight that your agent is talking about.

Unfortunately, there are no flights from the Grumeti area direct into Uganda - routing is thru NBO.

Once in Nairobi, you'll have to decide whether to go into Entebbe or Kigali.

Aug 20th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I believe your operator meant that you will fly from Nairobi to Kigali, from where its a very nice two-hour drive through cloud-covered mountains to Volcanoes National Park. It would probably take 10 hours to drive there from Entebbe.

Is it possible to charter a flight from Grumeti to Kigali? If not, I think you'll need to route through Nairobi, but your operator should know the best way.

You may be able to go by road, but its a long drive, albeit very interesting, I would imagine.
Aug 21st, 2005, 07:00 AM

I also think your tour operator meant a scheduled flight from Nairobi to Kigali and not Entebbe as it definitely wouldn't be a 2.5 hour drive from Entebbe!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions!

daviesq....I'm not flying into Grumeti, that's where my safari ends.

Sandi...I read your trip report and I'm glad you weren't Croc bait! I hope they don't close this airstrip.I'll ask my agent if it's cheaper to fly to Arusha/JRO/NBO/Kigali. That also seems like an inconvient way to get there.It's a charter, because we're being charged $800 to get to NBO.

thit cho...I tried to read your trip report to Uganda from Aug. 2003, but couldn't find it.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:47 AM

You are not that far from Mwanza. Can't your tour operator arrange overland transportation onward to there. The highway is directly West of Kirawira. From Mwanza you can arrange a flight or again overland transportation to Kigali.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:37 AM

loveintravelin, I topped my trip report for you.

Search this Thread