Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How about a few suggestions on this SA itinerary, please?

Old Nov 15th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We depart the 7th of December for 5 nights in Capetown. Then we have 3 nights in Stellenbosch area to relax with our two adult children, ride horses, do some wine tour, nice dinners, and some hiking or bike rides.

Then we have 9 nights to do the Garden and coastal route until we fly out on December 25th from CPT.

Tentatively we are booked on the way back at Kleinbaai at a friendly B+B my kids stayed at three years ago.

so,
Dec 8th-13th CPT
13-16 Stellenbosch

16 thinking about Fairy Glenn game reserve,( unless you tell me Jukane near Mossel Bay is similar.)

16 or 17th Montagu possible overnight

We will use rt 62 for part of this. (Their website is very helpful for activities and accommodations, but if you have some favorites, please chime in)

Then we have 3 nights to get to Kynsna and see the area in between Montagu .. then kynsna, and end up in Kleinbaii the 21st.

Kleinbaii dec. 21, 22, 23.

December 24th, our last night.. not sure where.

Can you please help me arrange the times spent places better, or does it look all right considering there will be sport activities mixed in between, and we want a leisurely and scenic vacation? Or are we trying to go too far in this time frame?

We also want to stop by cango caves.

Any ideas on the pace is well appreciated! Thank you! We are really looking forward to this holiday.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Just me, but, I go to South Africa for safari. For beautiful countryside and cities I go to Europe and/or USA.

regards - tom
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 03:27 PM

It is so wonderful to see someone who has chosen to do the Cape properly. I think your allocation of time to explore and enjoy the area is nearly perfect.

9 nights for the garden route is great - I am used to spending two weeks in that area, but I was lucky to have been raised in the Cape.

Enjoy a terrific holiday.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

I would love to go on safari.. but will have to do with a night or two at these game reserves. There are four of us traveling, and unfortunately at this moment none of us are able to do a complete safari.

Hopefully we will be able to do so in the future.

Just wondering if the last days before kleinbaii are too rushed or too much territory covered. mkhonzo.. any favorite b+b's or restaurants along the way? Is the kynsna elephant park worth a stop?
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 04:41 PM

The drive from Montagu to Kleinbaai is around 4 hours. At that time of the year you really want to stay within the speed limits as the cops are out in force, particularly with camera traps. I'd suggest a little bit of an adventurous journey down to Kleinbaai/Gansbaai area by travelling via waenhuiskrans (Arniston).

It will be a dirt track from there to Kleinbaai, but IMO very pretty and worth getting off the N2.

My favourite place in that neck is Grootbos. They do a super job of everything from accommodation, cuisine to activities and are arguably South Africa's leaders in sustainable tourism practices. Certainly worth the support. I have not used a B&B out that way as I would normally rent a cottage in Hermanus or Kleinbaai itself. I suspect though that arranging the latter now would be nearly impossible as it is holiday season and they will likely have sold out already.

As for restaurants along the way .... mmmm on the road I do something that gets me into a whole lot of trouble. I stop at a butchery in Plumstead, The Black Forest Butchery, and pick up a few pounds of droewors and biltong, I'll grab a case of Beyerskloof Pinotage and some cheese from Fairview estate. This in our language is called "padkos" and is enjoyed at picnic stops along the way. Sometimes I supplement this with a some smoked snoek from hout bay eaten with crackers and enjoyed with liberal amounts of Pintotage too. If I have a cooler, then it will be Ataraxia Sauvignon Blanc to wash down the snoekies treats.

You should work your way through the Karoo from Montagu to Oudshoorn for Cango, then use the the Montagu pass across the Outeniqua mountains to get to the coast, George and onward to Knysna.

OK, hope that helps a little more, you will have a great adventure...
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks! keep the suggestions coming! I imagine only locals will be able to help me out because most people on this board are on safari most of the time.
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Ja and many of them are travel agents who travel on pre arranged hosted trips. Their advise is good, but is not a travelers perspective necessarily. And yes, there are others here who are and can give you better insider advise.

I prefer not to offer accommodation comments as this is an entirely personal opinion. Should I not like a place, you might well. etc.

Hopefully more locals will chime in... maybe if you offer up some more of your interests I can suggest a few good stops along the way?
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

At this point, deciding which private game reserve to visit for one day or overnight along this route. We have checked out fairy Glen, but I am not sure how many resident animals they have. I also do not want to drive WAY off this route for 80-100kms when/if there is a pleasant reserve somewhere along the route with easy access.

Also, good restaurants near kynsna, and anywhere else that stand out in your mind.
Actually, any particular DISH that shouldn't be missed.

I think i have the horseback riding, possible canoeing, fishing, etc. located.

I have never had a problem with a lodging someone has recommended. As long as it is clean, fairly priced and convenient, or if not convenient, worth the extra drive.. it has always been a pleasure.

Thank you for all the info. I really appreciate it.
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 07:35 PM

I'm not a local but live in Cape Town & travelled around for a couple of years. If you are going as far as Knysna why don't you go onto PE if you are looking for a proper safari, in the Eastern Cape in a natural habitat whereas those in the Western Cape are manufactured but if you are not bothered about that then look at Aquila it's the most popular in this area & you could go here after Stellenbosch & afterwards you are much closer to Montagu.

Or how about only 2 nights Stellenbosch, 1 night Montagu, 1 night Oudtshoorn, 1 night Knysna, 2 nights safari in the Eastern Cape, return 1 night Storms River, 1 night Wilderness or Still Bay or Witsand then remaining nights 23rd onwards at Kleinbaai stay here until you leave on 25th

Witsand is a great place to go fishing, up the Breede River, take the pont across the river for a unique experience, on route to Kleinbaii you could detour to Cape Agulhas not to far apart.

Cape Town to Stellenbosch is about 1 hours drive to get to. Stellenbosch to say Montagu is about 2 hours, from here to Oudtshoorn & other places mentioned above again it's all about 2 hours apart.

Yes the Knysna Elephant park is worth it, also have you heard of Spier & the cheetahs ? Wiesenhof will be close when in Stellenbosch too, Du Toits Kloof pass on the way back I can recommended !
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Forgot to mention some other things, agree with Snoek, it's salty, I don't really eat fish with a lot of bones but this is the exception ! Best place/restaurants for fish is in Kalk Bay a lovely small town on the Cape peninsular route another good restaurant on this route is the Black Marlin. My fav restaurant in Knysna was at the St. James.
Old Nov 19th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your detailed suggestions! I will take a look at the PE area but thought it was "pushing it" distance wise.

I am anxious to try the restaurants if we pass by at mealtime! Great recommendations.

I really appreciate the input.
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 07:38 PM

Lincasanova:
My boyfriend and I are traveling for the first time to S Africa and plan to land in Cape Town on Dec. 4th. Due to money restricitions we can't afford to fly from area to area once there so I am trying to devise a travel itinerary that will give us a "taste" of everyting while there for 11 days. (we fly out of Cape as well).
I would be grateful to see your ammended itinerary so to gain ideas.
Have you found a safari experience that includes the Big 5 that would be a option to drive to from Cape?

My must go list so far:
I have no idea the proper order or suggested duration for each location - any recommendations/suggestions would be great from anyone!!!

Hermanus
Chapman’s Peak drive to Cape Point
The Garden Route and Route 62
Knysna, Plattenburg Bay
Kango caves Montegue
Durban and surrounds [Zulu country]
Umshlunga Rocks.
Franschook
Durbanville
Stellenbosch
Hout Bay
The Chapman's Peak hotel
Sunset Rocks – Llandudno is a suburb of Cape Town.
Franschook – Bassa Provance – deep in the heart of wine country.
Stellenbosch
a reserve called Pilansburg.
Boulder’s Beach
Camp's Bay
Old Nov 21st, 2011, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Near Capetown you have Aquila and fairy glen

http://www.fairyglen.co.za/

that's what I have found, been recommended so far.

It is hard for me to plan the time in each place also. I hope someone here can give you good advice. I like to stop and relax a night or two most places.

With 11 days, I'm not sure you can see Capetown, the wine area, the caves, route 62 and comfortably drive to Durban area and BACK. I'd be careful making reservations for that last destination in case you get wrapped up in the beauty of Knsyna area and other places easily accessible from the Garden route and that part of the coastline.

I figure this area os so large.. that I have just come to accept that will not see it all.. and I will let the weather and the beauty and the activities in each area lead me. I am not interested in begin stuck in a car 6 hours a day traveling along a road and not doing something.

I appreciate any additional comments anyone has.. but perhaps you should start your own thread to get better answers exactly for your itinerary, although we have a similar time frame. I have 9 free days after Capetown where i have 4( but 3 already in Stellenbosch, leaving 6 to decipher).

Our itinerary so far

Capetown

dec. 8-13th ( blocked due to work schedule).. hope to go to Robben Island one day
13-16 sleep Stellenbosch. See area. Bike ride, visit wineries. Horseback ride one day. RELAX.
16 -21.. 5 nights on the route 62 geting as far as we can, to knysna area. Storm river boat tour?-elephant park.etc. Zipline/bungee jumping?

21-24 Kleinbaii. revisiting a B+B our kids stayed at a few years ago. More horseback riding. Shark cage again for my kids. Deep sea fishing or some type of fishing.

24th,last night before late flight the 25th from CPT. Not sure where we will be.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 07:50 AM

Have fun and safe travels!!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM

jack- it's at least one full day to drive from Port Elizabeth to Durban. With only 11 days, it doesn't seem you can do the Garden Route and Durban/Zululand. Enjoy what you can. There's plenty to keep you busy. Just the penguins at Boulders Beach can be a day, Robben Island a half day and Table Mt. Golf and beach, wine tour?

Addo Elephant Park is an hour north of Port Eliz and a big five park. Go to sanparks.org for more info. Check the same website for some affordable options on the Garden Route.
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM

Thank you!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:14 PM

lincasanova,

Just got back from SA and don't think I'll get to post my Cape Town trip reports before you leave but here are my few suggestions.

Highly recommend lunch at Zandberg Farm (20-30 Min from the airport)... South Africa's first "White Merlot" producer. Food and Wine 5 Star Plus!

Drive Whale Coast Route to Hermanus then Gansbaai for Great White Shark diving. Only about 3 hours if you don't stop but trust me you will want to stop and it will take you all day.

Stop at Stony Point to see SA Penguins.

For rental car I did not have a good experience with Europcar and would avoid them. Thrifty/Dollar was much better in JNB & CPT.

Of course, a trip up Table Mountain and Signal Hill is a must. Hike Lion Head if you get the chance.

Have FUN!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! We will see where this place is as we will have plenty of time to do wineries I think!

We just finalized our difficult one night only Christmas Eve accommodation at a really nice 2 bedroom apt. in Hout Bay called the Pearl of Hout Bay. Looks nice enough. We can cancel before Dec. 10th in case something else comes up.

Now to figure out the important stops on way from Stellenbosch to Kynsna.. a bit of a challenge for me still.

Our car is with Hertz.

I am anxious to hear about your trip. I hear it is absolutely gorgeous. I am sure we can't go wrong.. the scenery will keep us happy. Just want to try to go to at least one animal reserve.. not sure which one would be best.

We will wait til next time to do a "proper" safari. I trust be will be back.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 02:15 AM

Also have a look at Sanbona, I've seen it recommended over Aquila on tripadvisor.

Hout Bay is very nice, great beach, local facilities, views, my only negative about this place is sometimes it's smelly from fish as it has a big fishing harbour at one end & if the winds blowing you can't fail to notice !

Llandudno is a superb beach location.

I am biased towards False Bay, places like Kalk Bay, St James, Clovelly are great for views, beaches, closer to Cape Point & Boulders for African 'jack-ass' penguins but I heard the numbers where down this year but there is another less known colony on the coastal drive to Hermanus, at Stoney Point.

The whales have normally left by December, but again I heard they arrived very late this year so perhaps they may leave later ? You may still see the odd one along one of the coasts.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Sanbona looks nice but frankly, we can't do that this trip.

I chose Hout Bay only because my kids have not been on that side of the peninsula.. and thought it would be nice for them to see something different. But the possible fishy odor has got me worried. Thanks for the advice.

The 24th, one night stand during high season, is a challenge, of course, most places I've looked. I was just happy to find a place near budget that was available and looked pleasant. I am still pondering the last night, though., ( among other things!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -