Search

horseback riding in Kenya

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horseback riding in Kenya

HI last week I asked for tips on horseriding in Kenya for 3 days and got some responses including about Lewa Downs. The post seems to have disappeared, but I looked into Lewa Downs and the price quoted was $4000 for three days!!! Any way to book locally or other options? thanks very much to those that answered.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM

If you click on your own screen name, you'll find a list of all of the threads you started or participated in. Your original thread is here http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ar-nairobi.cfm

The 2 options I gave are much less expensive than Lewa. I've ridden at both and posted a trip report and photos here (Olea Africana is Petra's old place, she's moved her operations to Sandai now) http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...nia-report.cfm

In addition to those options, there's also riding available near Lake Naivasha about 1.5-2 hours from Nairobi. The only place I've ridden there is at Malu and it was more of a countryside rather than game viewing ride (though we did have a few dik dik jump in front of us). What kind of riding are you interested in?
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Susanman-
Offbeat Safaris also offers riding safaris in different areas of Kenya. Not inexpensive but they're 10 day riding safaris as opposed to the 3 days at Lewa. I believe they'll also customize your riding safari as well, but don't quote me on that. I've stayed at a couple of their camps/lodges but not while on horseback and had a great time. Their website is:

www.offbeatsafaris.com

I'd love to try their riding safari in the Mara. Looks like a great itinerary. I'll just add that to the long list of things I want to do in Africa when I win the lottery.
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Another place you could try but I don't have personal experience with is Tharua www.tharua-safaris.info. Their game viewing rides are conducted on Ol Pejeta Conservancy and you camp on the conservancy (the type of camping done on horseback safaris is generally fairly comfortable). You could also ride from the farm but these would not be game viewing rides.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM

Hello,we do organise for horse riding in Tigoni limuru which is 35 km from Nairobi,the trails pass through vast tea and coffee plantations www.tigonihomestay.com http://nairobifun.ning.com please feel free to visit our sites for more info.