Hope and change

Nov 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Hope and change

Hello,

Just want say, here in India like the rest of the world - everyone is buzzing with excietement, after the long sought after sea of change has arrived. President Obama certainly is the future!!!

Hari
Nov 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM

whew!! (the sound of a huge sigh of relief!)

but, now comes the hard part, as he, and the new Congress try to fix the problems that exist.
Nov 5th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Hari, thanks, we are getting the idea that, like India, the rest of the world is excited. Let's hope he can meet the expectations, or at least some of them. An appropriate posting for this board since he's half African!
Nov 5th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Hari, thanks, I am very happy over here right now. And as we know from the news and emails, our Kenyan friends are going nuts.
Nov 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM

At the risk of turning this into a political thread that gets flamed I'll try to contain my utter joy, but this quote from his speech particularly resonated with me, as it made me think of all the people I've met over the years, in the forgotten areas of the world, and especially in Africa, that still believe in the American dream and have been waiting - like many of us - for this day:

"...to all those watching tonight from beyond our shores, from parliaments and palaces to those who are huddled around radios in the forgotten corners of our world - our stories are singular, but our destiny is shared, and a new dawn of American leadership is at hand."

Nov 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Thanks Hari! A friend in Kenya called last night after the results were in- he and his village were dancing in the streets. Thursday was declared a public holiday in Kenya, Obama Day!
Nov 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM

I have had a vision swirling in my head for months - of President Obama standing next to Nelson Mandela at the opening ceremonies for the World Cup in 2010.
Nov 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM

I spent yesterday watching CNN & BBC's coverage of the election which was very exciting. However, at my Swahili class last night (Australian time) I got an interesting response from our Swahili teacher (an African) who was very irritated by such euphoria. Although he was pleased by Barack Obama's victory, he sees too much being made of him being the first African-American President he is waiting for the world to accept talent for what it is. Considering the long fight for equality in the USA and many other countries I guess it is a landmark event which should be celebrated. He sees it from the angle of a refugee wanting to be accepted for his talents not for what he has achieved despite being a black African (my teacher, not Barack Obama). So I went from being really happy and excited going into class, especially given that there are many Kenyan connections in it, to being put in my place and back to reality. There are always so many different views and I have made a muddle of explaining his point of view. Anyway, good on you, USA.
Nov 6th, 2008, 06:10 AM

The "Madam and Eve" cartoon from South Africa is really great:

www.madamandeve.co.za
Nov 6th, 2008, 06:17 AM

I will also try to contain my joy in this post, but when I heard the line from O's speech, which Maxwell quoted....I thought of people I had met and spoken with this year in Ethiopia and Morocco. They asked if it were true that a black man could be running for president. But they doubted that the American people would elect him. To my friends in Africa: Yes we can!
Nov 6th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Here in the Chicago area we are so very proud. Now lets all pray for bipartisan support!
Nov 6th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Many of us canucks north of the border are also very excited [Heck even Ahmadinejad has offered his congrats!] Although I agree with Momliz that the President-elect has a lot of challenges facing him.

twaffle that is an interesting observation made by your teacher and the whole subject is a dicey one which I suppose goes beyond what we are all on the board for, but I guess the way I see it (through my caucasian eyes, admittedly) is that it IS a big deal that he is the first african american - but that in no way detracts from the idea that he's qualified and was the best *person* for the job (IMHO).

and I hope just as big a deal is made when the US elects its first female president too

cheers
Nov 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM

whiskey,

Not to stray too far from the topic but what about a Jewish president, male or female? Would our country ever tolerate a white house without the annual lighting of the Christmas tree or, a Passover seder instead of an Easter egg hunt? I'm afraid we're a looong way off from that one. There's a small group of Americans still hoping to live long enough to see that happen - a qualified jew elected.

I, too, am thrilled with the prospect of change. When we were in Zanzibar in September it seemed like all the locals were saying, Obama!Obama!, particularly when they realized we were American.

peace
Nov 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Change. Change. There is no government/society that I know of that does not need "change". Change would have happened in USA no matter who was elected. Question is - what will be the change and will it be in the correct direction? Only time will tell. And change will not be 100% (maybe 50%?) under control of the new President or of the USA. (Think other countries). Don't expect too much.

regards - tom
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM

=D> \/ =D> \/ =D> \/

Tour operators have already started to capitalize on this http://www.2afrika.com/site/safaris/...p?SafariID=452

To take it further OT, I'm waiting for the day an athiest could be elected.
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I live in Maadi which is an interntional community in Cairo,Egypt and teach English Conversation to that community. They are all ecstatic that Obama was elected. Once the taxi drivers find out that you're American they do a "thumbs up" sign and jubilantly say "Obama!"

It's fun to be in the midst of it.
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:42 AM

patty, that is hysterical! where there's a buck to be made...
Nov 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM

For those who remember, Dukakis' wife was Jewish. More recently, Leiberman as Kerry's Vice President was (still is).

As Patty suggests: An Athiest is what we need; less religion associated with our politics.

That 2frika "Presidential Heritage Tour" had me rolling

We can only hope there are some changes that have an impact on us and around the world.
Nov 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
cw

Hari,

Thanks for reporting on the reaction in India. I and (most) of my friends are pleased and excited.

The next four years are full of challenges, but they should be interesting and productive both nationally and internationally.

CW
Nov 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Maxwell, that part of the speech resonated with me too.

Both speeches, by Obama and McCain were extremely well written and made.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO