honeymoon safari Tanzania

Mar 26th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

honeymoon safari Tanzania

I am thinking to go to Tanzania for my honeymoon.
I would like to do a safari and afterwards some beach (not sure where yet..),
not quit sure though what are the best places to go. We want to go in June, so maybe I am too late for bookings?
Hopefully somebody can give me some nice ideas for a special, private and upmarket honeymoon in Tanzania.
Thanks already!
Mar 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM

For a safari in Tanzania please visit Lake Manyara,Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. I don't know how many days you have but I would recommend 3 nights Serengeti, 2 nights Ngorongoro Crater and 1 night Lake Manyara. Then you can go and relax at the beach in Zanzibar. It would great to know how many days you have
Mar 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Last November, I did 2 nights each at Grumeti (beside a great hippo pool), Klein's and Ngorongoro Lodge, and had a terrific time. This is all upscale, with the Ngorongoro Lodge almost being off-scale (it's fabulous). As nyandago says, you then can head to Zanzibar. You might wish to consider this special: http://www.andbeyondafrica.com/speci...pay_for_only_4

Best of luck, Steve
Mar 26th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Ngorongoro Lodge as sdb2 mentions is actually called "Crater Lodge"

You're not too late for June depending on your dates, especially in the Western Serengeti where the migration should be passing. If not at Grumeti River camp here, there is also Kirawira or Mbalageti Camps to consider.

The Klein's Camp mentioned is too far north in the Serengeti for June travel if you want to see the migration.
Mar 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM

My husband and I just got back from Tanzania; you may want to check out our trip report: Trip Report: East Africa-Tanzania. The facilities we stayed at were very nice (especially the beach). We were married last June and honeymooned in Tahiti. The beds at our tented camps were actually more comfortable then the ones in our bungalow in Tahiti. ... If you go to Stonetown, though, I would recommend a more upscale place than Dhow Palace for your honeymoon.

Also, we did not get to see the migration because the rains were unusually late and the animals were scattered everywhere looking for food and water. Our guide told us that it may be very difficult to predict the migration all year. We were not the least bit disappointed though (originally this was a must see for my husband) because we saw so much of everything else (and you will too!). I think Tanzania would be a wonderful place to go on your honeymoon!
Mar 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM

"special, private and upmarket" in Tanzania
To me that points to AndBeyond, a company that does high end safari lodges and itineraries in Tanzania and elsewhere.
http://andbeyondafrica.com/african_safari/tanzania

Specifically look at this
http://andbeyondafrica.com/african_s...ce_east_africa

You'd want the Gruemti Serengeti Tented Camp instead of Kleins, as Sandi mentioned.

I'd probably try to throw in a couple of nights at Manyara Tree Lodge too, even if it meant less time at the beach.

They can customize the itinerary if it's a private trip.

If this pricing is not what you had in mind, there are other options that would take you to these same parks, perhaps include one or two of these same accommdations, but at a lower cost with a different, middle of the road company.

Congratulations!
Mar 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all your help. I am really getting excited about it now. Loved the review from Kiki!!!! Gibbs Farm looks like a place for us. I heard you can do more activities from there, is that true? Iwould like to add some longer hikes or something else active as it seems you are a lot in the car every day, right?

We are thinking about 8-9 days safari and then Zanzibar for about 4-5 nights. 1 night Stone Town, probably a bit more luxury than the dhow palace, got advise for serena, but think that would be a bit too big/massive for a honeymoon, any suggestions?

Pongwe Beach hotel looks really nice, but Mnemba Islan and Matemwe Retreat look even better. Are these ok price/quality wise or is it out of proportion? Love to pay a bit more for my honeymoon, but it should be worth it of course.

Manyara Tree Lodge looks just amazing!!! I definitely want to go there, no matter what the price is. I love it!! Can you do hikes from there? Would 1 night be enough for Manyara or better 2?

Grumeti sound really nice as well, but we want to start 8th of June, isn't it better to stay somewhere in central serengeti? You can also do the ballooning there right, is that worth it? I heard it is only one hour...
Mar 26th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

oh and also, I am bit worried that we will stay in 'too' luxury places, I would not like to miss out on the real bush experience. I need it to be luxury, quiet (no big groups/families), but still authentic. Think we should at least stay 2 nights in a tented camp in the serengeti?
Mar 27th, 2009, 05:03 AM

No one can guarantee who/what you'll see as far as game and where, but neither who the other guests will be, whether families with children or groups. However, it's rare that at the small properties will you find groups.

The &beyond properties are all expensive and June is peak-season, so highest rates. Some of those mentioned above can run in the $950pp at Tree Lodge and $1450pp at Ngo Crater Lodge; Mnemba Island is $1250pp. However, &beyond does have a "special" offer if staying 6/nts or more at any combination of their properties, so ask. Prices might come down enough to meet your budget.

If these still too expensive, you'd have to look at other lux properties, but somewhat lower in cost.

In June, when the migration passes this way, besides Grumeti River (an &beyond property), there is Kirawira and Mbalageti Camps, both with 25/lovely tents. There's Nomad's, which is small with 4/tents and private vehicles, but also in similar price range as those above.

Suggest you contact someone for specifics - &beyond for their properties, or other tour operators or in-country outfitters to get more details itineraries, options ann prices - to have an idea of what's what and whether you can pull this off.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:03 AM

eefff-

I believe Grumeti will not feel 'too' luxurious--actually I would say it feels like Africa, what with all the snorts/grunts/bellows and harrumphs you'll hear much of the day from the hippos. The Crater Lodge is a different story in my mind and even the management, as I understand it, refers to the place as where "the Masai meets Versailles." Yet, though it can feel like a luxury hotel, there's something to be said for coming back after a long, dusty game ride and having a hot bath with floating rose petals waiting for you.

Best, Steve
Mar 27th, 2009, 06:28 AM

And regarding Mnemba Island, although I did not stay there, below is a summary I received via email from a British couple (50-60 age bracket) I'd met at Grumeti:

"We had a great final few days at Mnemba island off Zanzibar - the closest to a paradise island I have ever come - and so relaxing we were positively horizontal. Horizontal reading books, horizontal snorkeling over the reef - and what a revelation that was, and horizontal snoozing between times. Vertical to make our way to the beach bar and dining room! It was a beautiful place, and again we were looked after so well - I really recommend it if you return to Tanzania."
Mar 30th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi there,
haahahaha that post from the british couple is too funny, wich I can say that when we get back!
I am still not sure about And Beyond yet, I have contacted them, but it is really quit expensive and not completely what I am looking for. I am now in progress with a company called 'Green Footprint Adventures', does anybody know about them? It seems like they offer what I am looking for; camps from Asilia in the serengeti. That looks like the real bush experience and really small. They told me Olakira camp has only 6 tents!!! But it is in central serengeti in June, is that ok? As you told me western serengeti is ok, they told me in June central serengeti is ok.... Getting confused here...
In Arusha I am thinking about Onsea House (only 4 rooms!!) and than Manyara Tree Lodge and Plantation Lodge or Gibbs Farm in between. Whad do you think?
Mar 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM

When my wife and I got married, we did our honeymoon through http://www.exotichoneymoonvacations.com/. This is a honeymoon registry for Big Five Tours, a custom tour company that offers travel to Tanzania and elsewhere. They list a few sample Tanzania tours on their website but most of which can be customized to fit your needs. This was both of our first times visiting Africa and we had a great experience.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:36 AM

eefff -

Some who have compared prices including Green Footprints have indicated that their prices are higher, but still better than &Beyond. However, Tree Lodge at Manyara is an &Beyond property so you might not get better price that if going thru &Beyond. Many like the Kirurumu Camp at Manyara.

Plantation Lodge and Gibb's Farm are both in Karatu, about 1/hr between Manyara and Ngorongoro.

For travel in June, with fewer properties in the Western Serengeti as mentioned above some choose to stay in Central Serengeti, so Olakira can work, or maybe the Mbuzi Mawe Camp... larger than Olakira (# of tents), but very nice and lower cost than Olakira.

If planning for this coming June, I'd hurry as space is tight, if available as the prime properties.
Mar 30th, 2009, 07:48 AM

eefff-

Yes, the British couple were quite clever in their description of Mnemba Island. I had a good laugh when I first read it too.

I don't know anything about Olakira, but I think the general game viewing in the central area should be OK at that time of year. If it turns out the migration is a bit west of them, it seems they could drive you to the western Serengeti on a day drive. I stayed in the western area in Nov. and took a day drive to the central area where we caught up with the migration. It took about 2.5-3 hrs each way over really bumpy, pitted roads. But all the jostles and thumps were well worth it.

Best, Steve
Apr 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
jnm

Hello-
I am actually working on a Tanzania honeymoon too! TBD as to timing (will not be right after the wedding) but am thinking about November.
Apr 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM
jnm

Hello-
I am actually working on a Tanzania honeymoon too! TBD as to timing (will not be right after the wedding) but am thinking about November.