Search

Hiking boots vs sneakers

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:36 PM
N. Ball

Hiking boots vs sneakers

We are going on safari mid-July to Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia and wondered about foot wear. Hiking boots are waterproof and will keep the dirt out, but are heavy. "Running sneakers" are much lighter weight, but not as stable etc. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:41 PM
kavey

N what kind of trip are you doing? Will you be doing a lot of walking safaris or mostly in vehicules?<BR><BR>Our trip (to Namibia and Botswana last June 2001) didn't really involve much walking, a few walking trips but only an hour or less.<BR><BR>I took walking boots but ones which were softer, like a cross between "sneakers" and tough hiking boots. They are high at the ankle and have a really great support and you can't feel the pebbles underfoot digging into your sole, but they are soft enough that I didn't need to wear them in or anything. They are heavy though, but I wore them the whole time so they didn't figure in my packed luggage...<BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:36 PM
kavey

Thanks for your reply. We are going with Overseas Adventure and have been told to be able to walk 2-3 miles without trouble. I think I am more concerned about the dust and dirt in my shoes, if I wear sneakers, than the support. I work in a sand ring with horses and low cut shoes are very uncomfortable.

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Nancy

The only time we walked in Kenya on safari was about a 2 mile walk in Amboseli with Maasai guides and I wore Reeboks. All other trips were in a Land Rover so shoes weren't an issue. You could wear sandles. If you're going to do a lot of walking I'd recommend ECCOs.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:27 PM
n

I would suggest hiking boots. There are ones that are very similar to sneakers as far as fit and weight but they are more heavy duty material, high top, and don't show dirt and dust. I took sneakers AND hiking boots and ended up wearing the boots 99% of the time - even to dinner and through the airports.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 04:55 AM
kaveyf

I also wore my boots at all times except when showering, sleeping and lounging in the room or by the pool!<BR><BR>Infact I got mine in Feb 2001 and am still wearing them almost every day and they are looking fine. <BR><BR>Basically they are hiking boots but soft materials like sneakers/trainers.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:18 AM
Liz Frazier

I guess we have more than one Kavey posting. Thats fine, very pretty name. I had thought you were one person. Kavey F. what brand are your shoes, or are they only sold in the U.K.? Thanks, Liz

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:15 AM
kavey

No it's just me...<BR>I was wondering why you thought that then noticed my typo in the first post where I put kavb!<BR><BR>I am Kavita and known as Kavey, the F is from my surname, the B is a red herring.<BR><BR>The boots are labelled.. (says checking her feet) .. HEAD Exploration.<BR><BR>Got them in a Millets store in UK.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:06 PM
ellen

I went with OAT on the Botswana/Zimbabwe trip in Oct 2000 and wore low walking shoes the whole time. Sneakers would be fine, too. Most of the time we were in safari vehicles and when we walked it was on smooth trails with few ups and downs. By the way, we had an outstanding time. OAT delivered far more that I expected. The flights on small planes between the camps were thrilling. If you have chance, take the helicopter ride over Vic Falls.It is touristy, but breathtaking. Also, if you have good, old T-shirts or ball caps, take them to give to the guides especially in Botswana, they have so little.You will find the people as gracious and charming as any on earth.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Thyra

I would opt for the hiking boots. I wore mine nearly every day in Africa, their brownish color didn't show all of the "brownish dust" and they were very comfortable.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:02 AM
evelyntrav

I wore tan leather New Balance walking shoes and they were just fine. Hiking boots were unnecessary.