Search

Help with my Egypt Planning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with my Egypt Planning

I have just recently started looking into a trip to Egypt for October or November. I've read many postings on this site for tips/suggestions, and need some direction in terms of what makes most sense.

I do know I would like to spend some time in Cairo, to see the major sites there. Is 2-3 days enough time to see the Pyramids and other main attractions?

We'd also like to do a Nile cruise, and if possible, make our way to Sharm el Sheikh. My issue is if we do the Nile cruise, what is the best way to get to Sharm? And is 4 days sufficient for the Nile Cruise? Is there an option to leave the cruise and stay in one city for a day or two and then re-join? I was thinking I'd like to stay in Luxor for 2-3 days, but not sure of the feasability.

Any advice would be great!! Thanks.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:21 PM
sandi

Two to three days is fine for Cairo. As to getting on and off the actual Nile Cruise - don't think so. However, you can arrange to spend a few days in Luxor or Aswan prior to or after the cruise. As to getting to Sharm - I believe there are flights from Luxor; definitely there are flights from Cairo.

All of the above depends on how you schedule your trip. But anything can be done. Would suggest you work with an in-country Egyptian tour operator.

There have been many threads on this board listing names of Egyptian tour operators. Do a search at the top of the page with either "Egypt" or "Egypt tour operators" or any other search criteria - these threads will appear on the left column and you can read them.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Hello,

I did something very similiar in Jan 2003. We arrived in Cairo for 2 days, overnight train down to Aswan. We spent 2 days in Aswan, including half a day to Abu Simbel. The third day in Aswan we started our 4 day cruise to Luxor. After the cruise we spent 3 more days in Luxor and flew from there to Sharm for 5 days. Flew back to Cairo from Sharm for one more night and part of the day.

I thought the amount of time was perfect in each place. I was very glad we spent the additonal time in Aswan and Luxor to do some other things on our own.

I had booked the hotels on my own and arranged the cruise, trip to Abu Simbel, train tickets and tickets to/from Sharm with an Egyptian operator recommended on this site, I don't recall the name right now but will look it up later.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:28 AM

If you only have 2-3 days in Cairo, you may miss some of the good stuff. Figure one day for the Giza stuff (the big pyramids, sphinx and solar boat museum). One day minimum for the Cairo Museum. But then there's the Cairo Tower, Memphis, Saqqara, Dashur, and a number of other great things to see in the vicinity of Cairo.
Regarding getting to Sharm, I flew there from Luxor at the end of a 4-day Nile cruise that originated in Aswan. Sharm is excellent!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. Kelly, your itinerary sounds very much similar to what I'd like to do, but I'd like to squeeze it into 2 weeks time. Maybe 2-3 days Cairo, flight to Aswan 1 day, 4 day cruise, 4 days Sharm, fly from Cairo.

One more question: What are the flight prices like domestically? Approximately how much from Cairo to Aswan? And Luxor to Sharm? Any websites that I can check?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Blacktie

May I suggest a New Yorker article on Egypt - two weeks ago. Worth reading, about their politics and views on the US.

Old Aug 12th, 2004, 05:35 AM

I would count on three days for Cairo. One full day for the museum, and perhaps early evening at the bazaar, one day at dashur/saqqara, one day giza plateau (morning till noonish), and afternoon perhaps in the coptic quarter.
as for Luxor, three full days is a must: one day for the temple and karnak, and two days for the west bank.
Last April, my flight from Luxor to Sharm was around $70, but this flight was one leg of a five flight itinerary, so bought all together, flights are cheaper.
For jfk->cairo->luxor->sharm->cairo->jfk I paid $1100