Search

Egypt - suggestion on itinerary and Nile cruises

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egypt - suggestion on itinerary and Nile cruises

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are planning to go on january to Egypt, for a trip of 10 days.

What we shouldn´t miss, besides Cairo? I already thought of Luxor and Abu Simbel.

A Nile cruise would be enough to see all? Any recommendations?

Thank you so much.
Carla
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Nile cruises generally go between Luxor and Aswan. You would have to fly or bus to Abu Simbel and/or Cairo.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:46 AM

There are many threads on Fodor's with routings many have taken. Do a "search"

Generally, visitors spend a few days in Cairo; train or fly to Luxor or Aswan to pick up a Nile cruise for 3-4/days. Side trip to Abu Simbel is best done from Aswan... usually a morning, though some choose to overnight. Then spend a day or two in Luxor or a day in Aswan depending on which way your cruise is floating (Aswan/Luxor or Luxor/Aswan).
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Just as an exercice here's a tentative itinerary I'll do with 10 days:
day 1-3 cairo : Piramids, museum, coptic and Islamic cairo, Khan el Khalili market.... Personally, I'll skip coptic cairo and will try to go Instead to Sakkara and Dashur.
Flight to aswan at the end of day three.
day 4- Aswan- You will visit Philae temple and obelisk with the cruise, so you can visit that day Aswan Museum, the nice aswan market and elephantine island or the tombs of the nobles.
day 5- Flight to Abu Simbel (NOT TO BE MISSED)...and check in at the cruise of your hoice.
day 6-8- All the cruises do almost the samehilae and the obelisk at aswan; Kom ombo and edfu temples along the nile; and luxor highlights : Karnak and luxor temples, Valley of the kings, Hatshepsut temple and memnon colosi.
Day 9- I'll dedicate that day to Luxor; a very nice city. You can go to see some extra tombs at the valley of the nobles and a couple of not so visited temples as the very nice Ramesseum , the Medinet Habu temple or Seti I temple. Don't miss walking along the Corniche el nile street at night fall to see Luxor temple illuminated. And if you feel like that, visit Luxor Museum (my favoutite in egypt).
Day 10- Return to cairo and trip back home.

I'll go tomorrow if I could...
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 02:09 PM

Hi, My wife and I are planning a trip to Egypt in March.. we decided to book with a tour in Cairo.. we have booked with www.wedjatours.com they are making all the plans for us.. we are also planning a 3 day camel trip, camping at the bahariya oasis.. I cant imagine planning a complete Egypt trip without using a travel agency's help... We have always planned our own trips in the past, but Egypt seems to be a different animal altogether.. best wishes and have a great trip!
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM

Wow !

January 2010 is next month.!!

I hope you have your flight booked and some of the hotels booked also.

This might not be a problem though, as my friend just got back from ( 2 days ago) from a tour of Egypt..Cairo and he said the Nile Cruise boat he was on was only half full.

But boy , I still think you are doing some last minute planning.

Good Luck
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:23 PM

John? A 3 day camel trip? Thats a big undertaking.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM

MissGreen... not really that big.. minamar hotel at Bahariya oasis puts it together.. pickup and drop off in cairo... but then again, ask me after its over... it may be more than I'm prepared for.. but it should be an adventure!