Help w/ SA and Botswana safari itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/ SA and Botswana safari itinerary

Hi there,

My family (6 adults) are debating between the following two itineraries:

1) 4 nights Sabi Sands (Arathusa); 2 nights Okavango Delta (Pom Pom); 2 nights at Chobe (Mowana lodge) OR

2) 3 nights Sabi Sands (Arathusa); 3 nights Okavango Delta (Pom Pom); 2 nights at Chobe (Mowana lodge)

We would be going in late August/Early Sept 2011. If any of you have spent time in these areas/lodges could you let me know whether 4 or 3 nights is preferable at Sabi Sands? 3 nights or 2 nights is preferable in the Okavango Delta?

Thank you!
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Where's home, USA, Europe, South Africa?
That is, 8 night is way too short time to stay if coming all the way from USA.

regards - tom
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:52 AM

If it were me, given the (short) duration of your visit, I would visit either Sabi Sands or the Delta, not both. You are going to waste much of what little time you have travelling between the two countries. I would pick either SA or Botswana and split my time between two camps. I am not familiar with any of the camps you mention, but I would highly recommend tented camps over lodges. There is nothing like lying in a tent at night, listening to the sounds of African bush. Don't be put off by the word "tent" - tented camps in Southern Africa take camping to a whole new level (of comfort and luxury)! Robin
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Echoing what CR said, it will "waste" at least a day making the transfer between Sabi Sands and the Delta. And if you do it, make sure you're timing does not cause you arrive late at the next camp, thus missing the game drive and having left only a $1,400 dinner and bed. Details.

regards - tom
ps - waste a day and cost $$$, if you care
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Why would you want to combine SA and Bots on such a short holiday?? Seems a bit strange to spend so much on travel and to spend so little on safari. A quick calculation;

- 1 day "international" travel to get to Jo'burg
- 0,5 day to get to Sabi Sands
- 0,5 day to get back to Jo'Burg
- 0,5 day to get to Maun
- 0,5 day to get back to Jo'Burg again
- 1 day "international" travel to get home

Equals 4 whole days of travel on a total of what? 12?

Botswana and SA are both destinations that are worth spending a complete safari in. IMHO, both these itineraries are better than what you're planning now:

1) South Africa; start with some relaxing days in a lodge in the Blyde Rivier Canyon. Do walks, visit the sights. So much to see and do there. Then go to Sabi Sands and do game drives. After that, take another lodge in another private game reserve nearby, preferably one that allows walking safaris. Like Shindzela in Simbavati or Africa On Foot in Klaserie. At AOF; sleep out in the tree house. These kind of things bring the bush much closer (but not too close, don't worry).

2) Botswana; fly to Maun and have a safari with Ewan Masson or Alwyn Myburgh. This is in mobile tents, which means less luxurious, but in return you'll get a very experienced guide, you get maximized gamedrive time, incredible food (amazing what they can do out in the bush), private camping sites, and a private safari vehicle. In 8-9 days you can do the Okavango delta (Moremi), Kwhai, Savuti and Chobe. You could even throw in a visit to Vic Falls if you really want to.

Choose either one of these, and come back the next year for the other ;-)

B.regs,

J.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM

I agree with Canadian_robin and J. Pick one destination or add another week (or two). I did similar to your itinerary in 2 1/2 weeks, plus 4 days in Cape Town. Should have done less in 3 weeks. Try to stay three nights in each camp or it feels rushed, with lots of travel expense and time. And the times J quotes are minimums - connecting flights can add more ,5 days at Joburg and int'l flights to JNB from USA can be 2 or more days, depending on where you are flying from.

J recommended Shindzela. Because of his and many other great reviews, we are going there in June.

Banoka Camp is a new option in Khwai concession in Bots this year.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 12:26 AM

Hey Christabir,

Please say hi to Dave and Gertie for us!

We'll be close by; in the first days of June we are going to try Simbavati lodge.

;-)

Thx,

J.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:24 AM

Can't wait!! I hope Gertie was just on vacation, but I saw a couple of reviews that she was not there in Dec.

Enjoy Simbavati - and I will be sure to send greetings to Dave and (hopefully) Gertie.