Help! Luggage overage!

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 56
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Luggage overage!

One last question, everybody. My husband and I have packed extremely efficiently and have almost all of our things in our carry ons, which weigh about 20 pounds each. We are going to take one huge duffel to check and have filled it with clothes and toys for the orphanages. It weighs about 30 pounds, for a grand total of 70 pounds. BUT, if I understand this correctly, when we fly from Nairobi to JRO on a puddle jumper our first morning, we will only be allowed 66 pounds TOTAL. Yikes! What to do!
laslaff is offline  
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,619
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Each of you should take a small backpack or other daybag to use while on game drives. Throw them in your carryons or duffel or pack whatever you'll need on your flights to NBO and carry them separately. You're usually allowed one small personal item in addition to your carryon. Once in Nairobi, move some of the items in your carry-ons to these backpacks/ daybags, leaving the weight in your carryons and duffel under the 66 lbs. Wear your backpacks/ daybags and they won't be weighed. Voila! Under the 66lb weight limit!
ShayTay is offline  
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be really rare to have them check so closely that they flag you for 70 lbs instead of 66 lbs ... 99% of the time they won't say a thing, the other 1% you might have to pay a small fee to bring the rest, I think we were quoted $2 per pound (or kilo?) or something like that on one of our trips using a small plane. We had a lot of extra gear but the small plane wasn't full so they didn't even bother weighing our gear.

Don't worry, relax and enjoy yourselves.

Bill
Bill_H is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:09 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,232
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
support the idea of risking to pay the excess luggage which is mostly not more than 1$/kkilo which we had to pay when flying wilson-mara.

but the chance that you get away with it is rather big!

happy landings!

div
divine54 is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 56
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You all are THE BEST! I will use your recommendations and I feel much better.
laslaff is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bchyatt
Mexico & Central America
5
Sep 23rd, 2008 05:54 PM
emckeeve
Africa & the Middle East
4
May 26th, 2008 10:44 AM
LostinChina
Asia
6
Jun 14th, 2007 04:04 PM
mommacl
United States
6
Jun 4th, 2007 06:28 AM
wanderlust123
Africa & the Middle East
29
Jul 15th, 2005 06:29 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:40 AM.