Search

Help! Luggage overage!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Luggage overage!

One last question, everybody. My husband and I have packed extremely efficiently and have almost all of our things in our carry ons, which weigh about 20 pounds each. We are going to take one huge duffel to check and have filled it with clothes and toys for the orphanages. It weighs about 30 pounds, for a grand total of 70 pounds. BUT, if I understand this correctly, when we fly from Nairobi to JRO on a puddle jumper our first morning, we will only be allowed 66 pounds TOTAL. Yikes! What to do!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM

Each of you should take a small backpack or other daybag to use while on game drives. Throw them in your carryons or duffel or pack whatever you'll need on your flights to NBO and carry them separately. You're usually allowed one small personal item in addition to your carryon. Once in Nairobi, move some of the items in your carry-ons to these backpacks/ daybags, leaving the weight in your carryons and duffel under the 66 lbs. Wear your backpacks/ daybags and they won't be weighed. Voila! Under the 66lb weight limit!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM

It would be really rare to have them check so closely that they flag you for 70 lbs instead of 66 lbs ... 99% of the time they won't say a thing, the other 1% you might have to pay a small fee to bring the rest, I think we were quoted $2 per pound (or kilo?) or something like that on one of our trips using a small plane. We had a lot of extra gear but the small plane wasn't full so they didn't even bother weighing our gear.

Don't worry, relax and enjoy yourselves.

Bill
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM

support the idea of risking to pay the excess luggage which is mostly not more than 1$/kkilo which we had to pay when flying wilson-mara.

but the chance that you get away with it is rather big!

happy landings!

div
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

You all are THE BEST! I will use your recommendations and I feel much better.