Has anyone taken a microlight flight at Tafica?

Oct 21st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone taken a microlight flight at Tafica?

If so, do you recommend it? What month was it and what is the cost?
Thanks so much!
Oct 21st, 2005, 11:09 AM

Oddly enough I got an email from a friend of mine TODAY telling me about an article she's writing about her recent (fantastic) experience microlighting at Tafika.

I can't give you any details other than that she clearly enjoyed it hugely.
Oct 21st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Lin

Hi, I did not take this ride but was at Tafika last July and saw other guests taking it. They did enjoy it very much. I believe the cost was quoted as between $80 and $90. It's very short, 15 minutes. The craft flies low over the river. We felt we had already basically seen the hippo pods and crocs from our light aircraft, so we took a pass. But of course the microlight would be a lot closer to the ground than a plane.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 01:16 AM

My wife and I were at Tafika in March this year. Below is a relevant brief extract of the trip report:
>> Wednesday, and a day of great excitement for me. Starting out at 06:00 I took my first-ever microlight flight with the greatly experienced Mr Coppinger. The views of the river were stunning and the sound of the wind and the quiet drone of the engine made the flight trance-like. We flew over a herd of buffalo, some of who followed our progress with their eyes; it was amusing to see their great horned heads turning in unison with our flight path. John flew us directly over the stork colony, where we could clearly see two or three newly born chicks in their nests, apparently the very first of the season. When John spotted a crocodile out of the river, he banked our machine down low and fast, passing directly over him; at one point I could have sworn that the croc looked us straight in the eyes! Ruth flew the following day, taking lots of pictures during her half-hour session; I think she’s after my job as trip photographer.<<

In answer to your questions, yes it is absolutely worth the $80 for the flight. Two extra bits of info: although the flight is only around 25 to 30 minutes, (not 15 as posted elsewhere)it is not rushed. The time seems to go slowly when you're up there. Second, you can pay by credit card (John adds about 5%), so you're not using up your currency.
GO FOR IT!!!!
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:13 AM

Flew with John Coppinger in early September: What a treat. He is a safe pilot. The thrll of buzzing over the hippo and croc of the river, simply awesome. If I were there again I would do it again. Cannot recall what I paid.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a great experience.

Search this Thread