Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed at Eskaleh Eco Lodge in Aswan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Eskaleh Eco Lodge in Abu Simbel? We're currently booked at the Seti and I know it's the best place in town. But that being said, it's not that great either. I was thinking Eskaleh might be a good alternative. They have AC, good food and a sort of local "charm."
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM

YOu won't go wrong staying there. We were there 1 night in October. It is a small botique hotel with wonderful customer service. The room is basic-the best air conditioner of all Egypt-I froze my husband out!!! There is no pool. I had a tummy issue so I just ate soup. Clean. Not a fancy hotel but they make it up in service. Our guide had originally had us in Seti but had heard complaints so booked us there instead. I would reccomend-enjoy
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you BeneciaChris. If they have availability, I'm going to change.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 06:36 PM

BeniciaChris,

Can you tell me how far from the Abu Simbel temple site the hotel is. Was it easy to get backwards and forwards between hotel and site? I am just wondering about the logistics of flying in, getting rid of luggage and then getting to the site for sightseeing. Probably back again at night for the sound and light show. Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM

I am staying at Eskaleh in March. I am also interested in how far the temple site is to the hotel, and if you can walk it or not.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 08:50 PM

Once we checked in after our convoy we had a light lunch. OUr guide drove us to the site-we were able to see both monuments with a little time inbetween and then see the sound & light show. The walk in is a little long & in October it was VERY hot so once in I was glad I didn't need to walk out & back in for sound & light show. The monuments are spectacular. The sound & light show is awsome. Since we didn't go to any others I can't compare.
Since my driver drove us I don't remember how long it took but I wouldnt venture it is walking distance. Chris
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks Everyone! I have not managed to find much else about getting around Abu Simbel, so your thoughts are appreciated. This weekend I found Eskalah's website (I am sure it was not there when I looked last week?). I emailed them and this is what they came back with:

"(1) We are 15-20 minutes away (walking distance) from the Temples. By taxi it is a 5 minutes drive, and it's very easy to find a taxi. The airport is slightly further (we do not advise walking) but taxis are also easy to get.
(2) Best time to visit the temples is, indeed, early morning. You avoid the crowds and the light is magnificient. However, if early morning is, indeed, too early, we advise a visit around 3pm."

Rose-Silly, Please report back on your experience when you get back in March. Wishing you a great trip!!