Search

Gorillas on a budget

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gorillas on a budget

Hi,

My husband and I went to Tanzania for a safari two years ago and are planning a return trip to Africa. This time, I'd like to do a Gorilla Trek in either Rwanda or Uganda.

We'd like to do this trip for under 10K, not including international airfare. We'd love to combine the gorilla trek with a safari, or some time at a beach.

Can anyone provide some itinerary suggestions? I've only just started planning, so all suggestions welcome. This board was so helpful when planning our last safari.

Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Good Earth gets nice reviews, though I have not used them.
http://www.goodearthtours.com/Uganda/index.html

Check out their primate itineraries with prices.

Their chimps and gorillas trip looks great but it would not leave time for a traditional safari or beach to remain within budget.

I am using Volcanoes Safaris for August. They worked with me for a very nice trip at an affordable cost for one person throughout Rwanda and Uganda. If you are interested in a trip for this August, so far I am going alone for 4 gorilla visits and a golden monkey visit, but more people are welcome to join me. Volcanoes have a variety of departures, but only do Rwanda and Uganda and no other countries. Their prices are on the website too.
http://www.volcanoessafaris.com/safaris.htm

When are you planning on going?

You are probably aware that the gorilla visit is $500 for one hour, regardless of your outfitter. If you can manage 2 visits, I'd recommend it.
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Check out this link and the post abour R&N saving thousands of dollars.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...nda-safari.cfm

One thing that reduced the cost of my upcoming trip a lot was staying at Kinigi Guest house for the gorillas in Rwanda. But Gorilla's Nest, mentioned as a cost saver in the above link, was also nice with lovely grounds and a resident flock of crowned crane. They just had a rate boost, which sent me to Kinigi. I've heard Kinigi is nice; I'll find out.
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:45 AM

We did a trip to Rwanda last year - the advantage being that it's a reasonably small country so the distances are easily covered, but it's landlocked. The gorilla trekking is magnificent and Akagera Nation Park offers plenty of wild life. There are, of course, also the volcanoes and even a beach at Lake Kivu.
We travelled with Aloys Kamanzi from Kigali; he used to work either for Primate Safaris or Eco Tours and is now free-lance. He now has his own internet site.
Next time we plan to do the tropical bird trekk in Nyungwe.
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:48 AM

I don't want to hijack your thread, Rubyblue, but I just love the title of it! I have visions of gorillas sitting around the kitchen table, saying things like "How much should we allot for the baby's college fund?" and "Do we really need to spend this much on hair gel?"

Thanks for the smile.

Celia
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:51 AM

We used Good Earth Tours last year for Kenya/Tanzania and I highly recommend them. Their prices were very reasonable and they were easy to work with and delivered everything as expected. Their employess were all very helpful and knowledgeable.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:47 AM

We went to Rwanda and Kenya in September. To give you an idea of cost, the Rwanda portion of our trip for two people was around $7000. This was for two treks, one extra day to see Dian Fossey's camp and a night at Lake Kivu. $2000 of that was just for permits. As Atravelynn linked you to the other message, we saved a lot of money going through R & N Xplorer. We had quotes as high as $13000 for the same trip (and R & N were able to get permits when no one else could). Tell them what you want and they'll make an itinerary for you.

We spent 7 nights in Kenya at Governor's and that was $8000 plus $5000 for all of our flights so our trip was $20000. This doesn't include camera equipment, shots, clothing, etc. I know it can be done for cheaper but we wanted to stay at a nicer camp in Kenya and we paid extra for a private vehicle at Governor's. Needless to say, I'm staying close to home this year!
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM

You can always buy the gorilla permits from Parks. Take a bus out near Bwindi and stay in a guest house. In the early AM, take transportation to the park. I did this in '06. Doesn't get any cheaper then that. Or you can hire a car and driver to take you to Bwindi.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM

<i>You can always buy the gorilla permits from Parks.</i>

Gorilla permits definitely sell out.
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM

I don't know about Uganda but definitely buy your permits for Rwanda in advance. They sell out months in advance.
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Uganda too.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Last year around this time an agent told me that permits were sold out though July or August.

This year is probably a different story.

If you are exploring the continent with lots of time, little money, few expectations, and a keen sense of adventure, then I think taking public transport to Buhoma or Kinigi and hoping for some permits, and waiting it out if necessary, is reasonable plan.

During high season, I've done outings when not every spot has been and I've been approached by people begging me to sell my permit to them so they could go. I've never gone in low season during rains.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Regarding Celia's comment, of course they are, times are tough all over.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM

"Gorilla permits definitely sell out."

sf7307
Like a lot of the popular camps and lodges in Botswana.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM

What a timely question. This was in my inbox today. I hope it is not too advertisy, but I am sure other companies have something similar or at least you could ask.

VOLCANOES SAFARIS YEAR OF THE GORILLA SPECIAL OFFERS – DONATING THE COST OF ADDITIONAL PERMITS TO THE GORILLA NATIONAL PARKS

To celebrate 2009 being the UN Year of the Gorilla, Volcanoes Safaris – The No.1 Gorilla Safari Company – has launched two special offers to encourage clients to track mountain gorillas.

Sensitive tourism is central to the survival of the gorillas. Every gorilla permit purchased goes towards the protection of the gorilla national parks and benefits the surrounding communities, supporting the conservation of the much threatened mountain gorilla. This is why Volcanoes Safaris believe it is vital that more clients to go tracking when less people are visiting the region and are in effect donating the cost of an additional permit to the gorilla national parks.

<b>OFFER 1 - FREE SECOND GORILLA PERMIT</b>

To increase revenue for the gorilla parks, Volcanoes Safaris would like to encourage clients to track gorillas an additional time while on safari. For clients who are doing a safari of 6 days or more to the gorilla parks, Volcanoes Safaris is offering the second gorilla permit, worth $500, free, in effect donating this money to national parks for conservation and communities.
This offer is valid on all Tailor-made and Scheduled safaris longer than 6 days. full details

OFFER 2 - AN ADDITIONAL 2 FREE NIGHTS AT MOUNT GAHINGA LODGE UGANDA.
Clients who do any tailor-made gorilla safari to Rwanda or Bwindi from Kigali are offered two extra nights free at the fabulous Volcanoes Mount Gahinga Lodge at Mgahinga National Park in Uganda, nestling in the foothills of the most beautiful part of the Virunga volcanoes. This offer is worth almost $1000 per person. full details

Both these offers are only valid on new bookings, made between May 1 2009 and December 31 2009. Terms and conditions apply. See our website for full details.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I think we're planning to do two gorilla treks in Rwanda (3 nights - something like this package: http://www.volcanoessafaris.com/safa...4-rwanda-s.htm) followed by 4 nights at a beach resort, maybe Mozambique. Hopefully in mid-October.

Does anyone know of a travel agent who would help coordinate the entire trip? I usually plan my own trips, but just don't have the time this year to look into flights, etc.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM

What a great trip that would be.

Africa Adventure in FL can do Rwanda, Mozambique, and flights.
Probably A&K could too, but they get to be expensive.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM

RubyBlue--we did a TRUE budget trip to Rwanda. We averaged about $100 per day for the two of us (not including our gorilla permits). If you are willing to "rough it" a little bit, it is totally doable and I wouldn't do it any other way if we went back. We got much more of a flavor for the country, as we travelled on local transportation, and met a lot of people along the way.

Happy to provide you with specific info--but essentially we stayed at the Murhabura in Ruhengeri, and the hotel manager arranged our transport $50 (there and back) for the day to see the gorillas. We took a matatu from Kigali to Ruhengeri.

Then we took a taxi to Gisenyi and stayed at the Palm.

From there we took a boat (expensive) to Kibuye, and stayed at the Bethanie (HIGHLY recommend!).

From there we took a matatu back to Kigali...and then back to Ruhengeri for our last trek.

I really liked breaking up the trip, and the gorilla visits.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful replies...

It's decision time and I find myself torn between two trips. The options are:

Two gorilla treks in Rwanda, followed by several days on the Kenyan coast (Lamu) and a visit to the Sheldrick Foundation.

OR

For the same amount of $$, we can go to South America, visit Machu Piccu and then tour the Galapagos for 5 days.

I just can't decide as both trips would be incredible. Maximum wildlife viewing is the priority and I guess I feel like the South American trip is a better value, since so much is packed into it. And, we've already been to Tanzania, so the S. America trip is a chance to explore someplace totally new.

But then I see those gorilla faces, and feel like I need to see them in person!

UGH - choosing between two great trips is a great problem to have, but I'm agonizing over it!

Any thoughts perhaps from someone who has done both the Galapagos and the gorilla trek?

Thanks as always.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM

Gorillas and Galapagos more than once. Machu Pichu not yet.

If you think you'll be able to do both in your lifetime, then flip a coin to see who goes first--gorillas or boobies.

I forget when you are going, but for Galapagos the best times are April to before Christmas. The Waved Albatross go out to sea Jan-Mar and Christmas time has too much emphasis on festivities on the boat that may detract from the natural history aspect. The guides I've asked seem to like Nov. best. April and Aug were great.

Gorillas would be best June-Sept or maybe Feb.

If you are hiking to Machu Pichu, then good physical condition is needed for both trips. If you are not hiking to Machu Pichu, then you may want to consider the gorillas first, while you are in good physical shape. The Galapagos require a lot of time on your feet, but much of it is standing still or moving slowly.

What a nice dilemma you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -