2-3 Days in/near Lilongwe What to Do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of us will be volunteering in Malawi for about a week in June. We will have one free day when we are in Lilongwe at the end of the trip. I am looking for:

1. A good activity for those that have never been to Africa to do for one day before they depart...the lake, a quick nearby nature park/mini safari?

2. Where to go from Lilongwe for those that are staying an additional 2-3 days. Assuming we had already visited the lake for some diving, is there a nearby drive through a park where some of the Big 5 can be viewed? Even if this would require a 5 hour drive and an overnight stay. I have done some traveling in Africa but would of course love to do more wildlife viewing and those going with me have never been to Africa so a place where we have a chance to view some wildlife is probably the best option. At this point, I am clueless on where to go. We can rent a car if needed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

~Linzy
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the one day activity i can suggest:
1) Lilongwe wildlife center - its a walking distance from Lilongwe capital and a great place to spend the day.

2) Dedza Pottery & Chongoni Rock Art: Hike to this ancient site before investing in some pottery and enjoying coffee and cheesecake in the renowned café. The mountain views and the drive alone are worth the trip.

For the 2-3 wildlife Days may I suggest:

1) LIWONDE NATIONAL PARK - Located at the southern tip of Lake Malombe in the south of Malawi, Liwonde National Park is truly a national treasure worth experiencing.

2)KASUNGU NATIONAL PARK - Located West of the Central region, bordering Zambia. Attractions include Lions, Leopard, hyenas, wild dogs and Birdlife and significant number of hippos in the Lake Lifupa.