Reload this Page >

Hokkaido in October with extended family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Christine

I will be traveling to Japan with my family, two adults and three children, (6 yr old twins and a 10 yr old), plus my husband's parents. I'd like us to fly up to Hokkaido for about four days and visit some sights. The children will probably be most interested in the active volcanoes and the inlaws will probably enjoy some scenic downtime. I've already been to the JNTO website and have been in touch with JTB about executing logistics. Does anyone have any suggestions about great ryokan/onsen in the area that would be worth visiting? (Also, one that wouldn't object to foreigners) Is there an area where we can concentrate our visit and please everyone with minimal travel once we're in Hokkaido? I'm assuming we'll travel by either bus or train once we've arrived on the island. I'm not keen on driving myself. <BR>thank you, <BR>cfl

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Florence

Try a search on www.google.com for <BR>Onuma quasi-National Park <BR>Shikotsu-Toya National Park <BR>Rishiri-Rebun-Sarobetsu National Park <BR>Daisetsu zan National Park <BR>Akan National Park <BR>Ainu Culture <BR>Kushiro Wetlands National Park <BR>Akkeshi Bay <BR>Lake Furen <BR>Nemuro Peninsula <BR>Shiretoko National Park <BR>and of Course Sapporo and Hakodate. <BR> <BR>All those places can be reached by train. <BR> <BR>I don't have better information to offer I still have to go myself. <BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:54 AM
Sasha

Four days isn't that long considering driving time to some of the places. I live in Asahikawa and LOVE Shiretoko National Park (6 hour drive from here), Akan, Masshuu and Kussharo Lake area(4 hours). Kussharo-ko (Teshikaga district, not to be confused with Kushiro) has free hot springs dotted around the lake, steaming volcano vents, Ainu handicrafts and museum,good hiking, and park golf! <BR>I haven't been to Noboribetsu, but its famous for the grand hot spring hotels, steaming volcanic areas, and other tourist attractions. And its not far from Sapporo. <BR>With only 4 days, places like Rishiri, Reibun, Shiretoko are probably out of reach. I heard they've re-opened Toya onsen area after the volcano erruption, and they have some family oriented all inclusive resorts there too. Good luck!

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in Kushiro in June and took a day trip to Akan, Masshuu and Kussharo Lake area - it was beautiful. Go to the sulfur springs there...the kids would enjoy... if you get to Akan early enough in the day you can take the ferry out to the island where they cultivate the algae balls...
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:18 AM

Hi there,

Yes - I'd limit your travels if you only have 4 days.

How about taking the overnight train from Tokyo to Hakodate. Exploring Hakodate. Old fort, fish market, cable car to the mountain view etc..empreor's toilet etc

Then train to Noboribetsu. Stay. Hell valley volnacic stuff.

Then train to Sapporo. Stay 2 nights and do side trips to either Otaru and its aquarium. or to the chocolate factory in Sapporo, or to the zoo at Asakiwa?

amanda
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 11:57 PM

The original post is almost 6 years old now.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 03:26 AM

oh my god you're right!
I never even looked at the date...obviously...
i wonder if they had a good time?!