Good gorillas vs Humans gone bad

Jul 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Good gorillas vs Humans gone bad

So people can be more aware of gorilla etiquette, I posted a video of our recent experience in Rwanda! 2 stupid people nearly ruined the experience for 6 of us during one trek.

I guess the guy from Europe and the North American lady both thought they were on private treks - and the rest of us were only there to watch THEM film and photograph the gorillas! They continued to position themselves in front for the best views despite pleading whispers from the guide that we are all have a right to take the better viewing spots.

Well, at some point the gorillas gathered in a clearing to rest. This was our best view of the family together. Then our 2 friends bumped into each other while both pushing to the front. And started to argue loudly!

The gorillas looked up and promptly ran away. After that we saw only glimpses of the family for the rest of our allotted hour.

http://www.go-safari.com/Volcans/volcans.htm
Jul 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM

WHAT A BUNCH OF &^%$#

Jul 6th, 2006, 02:59 AM

Jeez, that really would upset me a lot. I'm so sorry that the experience was so rudely shortened not to mention somewhat ruined by these two people.

Jul 6th, 2006, 04:43 AM
africnow

What an upsetting experience! I am really sorry to hear about it. I stopped using organized tours because of a similar experience. Some people just should not be allowed to travel!

Jul 6th, 2006, 07:40 AM
aby

&^%$# (© - wayne)

in such a case
one can forget his English Gentlemanness
& become VIOLANT !!!
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:35 AM

By the way, even the gorillas looked disgusted with this couple.
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:52 AM
johan_belgium

Some people just don't have a clue how to behave. I hoped they learnt for the future.

Jul 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM

I canít find a smiley for this.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:18 AM

I would've been livid
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Is there a smiley for jackasses?

oops, sorry. That is an insult to jackasses.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Patty,
Thatís a good smiley Ė but itís not livid!
They probably havenít learned a thing. I ďknowĒ the man is talking about an American woman that didnít know how to behave and the woman is talking about a European man that didnít know how to behave. I feel like Iíve known them all my life and itís not a pleasant feeling.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Yikes! I'm so sorry for you.

I sometimes think there should be an etiquette deposit on certain activities you are forced to do with strangers. At the end, any spoilsport's deposit is split amongst the normal people. This may compel better behavior from the self absorbed.
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM

What a shame for you, the other group members, and the gorillas, Eben. Bummer that the gorillas seem to have better manners.
Adding that video will at least educate a few of the clueless ahead. Public service anouncement, at your expense, literally.
Sherry
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:25 AM

bleep bleep bleep IDIOTS!
Sorry they almost ruined it for you.
Imelda
Jul 6th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Certainly dispels the myths of gorillas being fearsome and aggressive. If someone behaved that way observing me in my habitat there's a good chance it would have been 'game on', it would be hard to walk away from such idiocy.

Eben, it must have been a long walk down the hill for you after observing that behavior and then being stuck with them for another couple of hours. At least you have the winning entry for Fodors most disgusting safari videos.
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

The strange thing is the other 6 (myself included) were so surprised by these actions that we did not get vocally angry at the time! What else can you do but bite your tongue! One certainly cannot cause even more noise!

Amazingly after this happened the gentleman continued to tell the lady what he thought of her!

That's when I lost it a bit so I grabbed him by the shoulder and told him to relax. By now I was also talking rather loud!

Afterwards our group just walked down the hill without saying much. The 2 troublemakers acted like nothing happened.

But boy, was I happy that we were not in the safari vehicle on a 10-day safari with either one of the two fools.

Group safaris are not for us!

Fortunately, we got to film some excellent footage before the distractions happened.
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Is there any way to ensure you won't have oafs like this other than to have your own group of 8 people? I'm so sorry Eben. What are the odds that two rude people would be in your group of 8?
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
aby

Dear Eben

Shoulder ?
The NECK is the place to grab 'em...
especially if their DNA is still potentially multiplying ... (!)

Johan - they haven't learned anything for sure. such creatures have a different mechanism of rationalisation

aby
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Eben that is just amazing. So sorry and I agree that having them in your company for days would have been....!!!! Oh my gosh I don't know what to say really. Sorry you had to experience this. I said to my husband that I would love it one of these people happened to see this video &/or all the comments here but he feels that if they behave like that they wouldn't even be affected by this which makes me feel even worse!
J
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Eben

It would have been better if you'd posted video showing who they are.

These are the kind of people who get attacked, then want the offending animal destroyed.

Can anyone say private vehicle?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO