Search

Cape weather in May

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Celia Kraatz

Cape weather in May

We're looking at May for our next trip to South Africa. We haven't been in the Western Cape in that time of year before. Will it be too cold in Cape Town to enjoy it? What about the winelands? We may venture into the Karoo also, what about there?<BR><BR>April is a possibility for us too; would that be a much better time to go?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:50 AM
james

Could be unpredictable - some years May is still warm and sunny. Other years it has been miserable, wet and windy. April is definitely a better bet. Better still March

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:37 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Celia,<BR><BR>I concur 100% with what James has said in his mail to you. <BR><BR>Let me home in on your May timeslot. As a tour guide/operator I would advise people to come to SA during March or April as opposed to May. May is VERY unpredicatble in Cape Town. I would say that you could bank on the fact that it would be fine on the Garden Route. <BR><BR>May is a period that is generally quiet as the amounts of people touring the Western Cape area are small. Thus you will not be over run by touriusts however I might add that this would be the case in March April too.<BR><BR>With that said my suggestion to you is to try and change your tour dates to March - April<BR><BR>Enjoy my country when you visit us next year.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:52 AM
Celia

Thank you, James & Selwyn!<BR><BR>Unfortunately, March is just not possible for us. <BR><BR>Can you tell me when the Christmas holidays are over? We might be able to swing it in the last two weeks of January, first week of February. Will the crowds be gone by then, and the prices lower?<BR><BR>Thanks for your advice!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Selwyn Davidowitzavisoitz

Hi Celia,<BR><BR>The Xmas season ends round about 10 January. By this I mean that the schools start reopening and everything slows down. The last two weeks of January gong into February would be perfect for a vacation as the crowds will be gone, the weather will be hottish (33C = 98F) but wonderful. (no humidity that bothers one). The skies will be blue and the sun will shine each day in a typical Cape Town way. If you have these dates available take them now and start making bookings. Forget about good deals at this time of the year as it still is regarded to be high season but then the Rand Dollar exchange rate should make your journey very easy on your pocket immaterial of it being high season or low season. You just wont believe the value for money that you will get in SA relative to any other part of the world especially the USA.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Selwyn Davidowitz<BR>

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Celia

Thank you, Selwynn.<BR><BR>I know about the value for money that SA is. We have visited many times over the years, and always had a wonderful time.