Getting to Petra from Amman Airport

Dec 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Getting to Petra from Amman Airport

Have found flight from Cairo to Amman and return at reasonable price with Egypt Air. Can book nights at the Movenpick Resort in Petra on line-no problem. What is now needed is advice as to getting to Petra from Amman. I've searched but haven't been able to find recent posts with names/recommendations of drivers, etc. Is hiring a driver to take us (2 adults) from Amman to Petra the best option? I really don't want to do a day trip as I don't feel that's enough time for Petra. An agency that I contacted to do the entire pkg.-flights, hotel, land transport-quoted a price of $2400USD with 3 nights at the Movenpick. The price I've come up with for the flights and hotel is $1425USD for the 2 of us. All I need is the land transport. I think I can do it cheaper if I arrange everything myself. Any advice/recommendations? Thanks.
Dec 29th, 2010, 12:49 PM

There are a few Jordanian tour operators that have been mentioned here on Fodors which I'm sure a "search" will bring up. Drop an email to them and see what they can offer pricewise.

However, it's easy enough to drive from Amman airport to Petra and back, then the hotel and whatever daily entry fees at the site.

With all the info from any other outfitters other than the one you've already contacted or if doing on your own... decision is then yours.
Dec 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM

We had a wonderful driver for our 5 days in Jordan. His name is Bashar. You can e mail him at [email protected]
I don't know what his price was as it was a combo Egypt/Jordan trip planed by Ahmed Hamed Yousif. Check him out-he is wonderful-say hi from Chris if you do
Dec 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I also posted on TA and got some advice. Another agency quoted me close to $3000USD for the pkg. so I'm definitely leaning towards arranging this on my own.
Jan 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Official taxis at the airport will take you straight to Petra. You'll be given a reciept listing the official prices to various places in Jordan. Pay on arrival in Petra. Was in Jordan last week and the drive to Petra took about 3 hours and cost 68 Jodanian dinar.
Jan 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM

One company quoted $1,200/person and the other $1,500/person which are close enough to give an idea of the going rate. And as you indicated this includes: flight from Cairo, transport to/from Petra, 3/nts Movenpick hotel and any entry fees.

While the figure you come up with at $1,425 for the two of you looks attractive, no doubt it gives pause. But, I wouldn't be surprised that something might not be included. This is not to say your figure is wrong, but do be sure you are comparing "apples-to-apples."

Such as: based on online rates to know what type of room at Movenpick, what meals included or not, entry fees, etc.