Getting home from Africa via AMS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an 8 hour layover in AMS on our way home from Africa. Do not want to go into town(will have done this on the way over) Really want to get some sleep & a shower before the next 18 hours if travel to come. So I was wondering what suggestions folks have. ? the snooze chairs at the airport but these look like we would not feel "secure" enough to fall asleep with our bags there. ? a day room at the Mercure. ? a day room at another nearby hotel or any other suggestions?
I will cross post this on a couple of other forums.
Thanks in advance.
J
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:56 AM

The Mercure would be the most convenient since you don't have to leave the arrival/departure area but other hotels nearby may be cheaper. IIRC when I checked last month their day room rate was 90 euro. They'll also sell just a shower pass for 12.50 euro. There are lockers at Schiphol but I've never used them and am unsure about the size and cost.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:59 AM
sandi

Go for a day-room and catch some Zzzzzs, a shower, change of clothes. But book as soon as; the rooms at hotels nearby go quickly, especially the one connected to the airport - believe it's a Sheraton.

The lounge chairs are nice if you have a few hours, but these too go fast and someone has to have an eye open for the carry-on bag/s. For 8/hrs, Not! a day-room, instead.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Having flown through the Amsterdam airport many times, most recently in November, 2006, the place I head for, if I have time, is in terminal one and called something like the Champagne Bar where you can get caviar and smoked salmon---and feel like a million dollars! Yes, it is expensive, but any trip abroad, especially to Africa, calls for celebration. The person at the information counter in the airport can direct you. When I was at the airport in November, it was 6 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Aside from doubting that the Champagne Bar would be open, I discovered that I would have to go through passport control to reach it and I had insufficient time. I believe its location must have moved. You, obviously, WILL have time. Check it out and live it up. You go around only once. ZZ
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I think the champagne bar is called Bubbles or something like that. It's on the Schengen side and requires going through passport control and security and passport control again crossing back over (but no security this direction). Usually the wait isn't too long and you may be asked why you need to go to the Schengen side, but it shouldn't be a problem. AMS is pretty efficient.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:00 PM

Jules,
Did you end up getting a good deal on airfare?
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Although the idea of the Champange bar sounds a great way to wrap up a great vacation I know my body will not agree!!! So I think I will be going with my original idea of somwhere to snooze!

Leely I think we did OK on air about 1900 from LAX-JRO-Kigali-NBO-AMS-LAX hopefully I wasn't fooled too much!

Thanks everyone J