7 hour layover in Amsterdam

Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

7 hour layover in Amsterdam

My boyfriend and I will be spending a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam on our way back from Greece. I'm not sure if this is enough time to leave the airport, but if so does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do and what we have enough time for?

We land at 730am and have to be on our plane to Canada at 1:20pm. If we're stuck in the airport, any suggestions as to what to do/eat near by?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:47 PM

We had a 4 hour layover one year and took the train to the city cener, ate breakfast, walked around and hopped the train back with plenty of time. It's a great city for a brief encounter.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM

Landing at 7.30 means you will be out of the terminal by 8 if you are very lucky, but possibly not until nearer 8.30 or even later depending which runway you land on especially if you land on the Polderbaan - taxiing time from that runway is something like 15-20 minutes! At least you won't have to queue for passport control on the way out.

You will have euros - make sure you have lots of coins so you can by train tickets at the machines.
With a bit of luck you could be in the city by 9, but it may be nearer 9.30.
Your flight leaves at 1.20. They do the security for non Schengen flights at the gate, and because of this the gate close early - about 50 minutes before take off quite often, which means being back at Schiphol and through passport control again by 12.30 at the very latest.

Which gives you maybe 3 hours in the city if you are lucky.
Only you can decide if the stress is worth it or not. I would play it by ear and see what time you actually are out of the plane from Greece.

Personally I wouldn't risk it but I am a wimp.

There are lots of shops and all sorts of places to eat at Schiphol. You could go up to the roof terrace (landside - so you would go through passport control the get back to your gate) if the weather is good. There is also a library, free wifi, and a small branch of the Rijksmuseum there.

You will need to go through passport control if you stay at the airport, and just head for your gate, as you will be leaving Schengen.
Mar 24th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Only takes 15 mins from airport into Centraal station and trains are very frequent so I would consider a quick trip into the city. I hate hanging around in airports- spoils the whole trip for me so I would definitely head for town if time allows.
make sure you get full price train ticket as discounted tickets are not accepted for journeys before 9.30am as we found out to our cost last week! Go to ticket office rather than struggle with machines- even if there's a queue it usually moves fast.
Mar 24th, 2011, 08:08 AM

There is no struggle with the machine, provided you have the coins. It is easy to use and also speaks English.

The train takes between 17 and 20 minutes normally.

Not only are discounted tickets not valid until after 9.00 (not 9.30)on weekdays but you need a special pass to be able to use them.

I would still play it by ear. If your plane is late, you are taxiing in from the Polderbaan or whatever you may decide you don't have time.
Remember you have to be back in plenty of time as you have to clear passport control and security at the gate. Boarding starts early and closes early to avoid huge fines for late departure. Get as early a train back as you can - it will only take one glitch for you to be screwed.
Mar 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I guess we will have to play it by ear...
Apr 5th, 2011, 01:27 AM

@hetismij: Are the discounted tickets for certain pass holders? As tourists taking trains after 9.30am, we are unable to purchase them?

I saw it online but aint sure if we're eligible for it.
Apr 5th, 2011, 02:45 AM

You need a discount pass from the Dutch railroad company (NS) to be eligible for that discount.
Apr 11th, 2011, 04:44 PM

I am a proponent of leaving the airport on long layovers. I've not done it in Amsterdam, but I've spent a few hours in Vienna and had lunch in Montreal on long layovers. Definitely a better choice than hanging around the airport! The customs officers in Montreal were quite suspicious but ultimately let me leave; nobody batted an eye in Vienna. It is important to return to the airport 2 hours before your flight, but with a 7 hour layover you will have plenty of time!