Search

Gays On Safari

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gays On Safari

My partner and I want to go somewhere in Africa next year and wonder how gays are treated in the different type of lodgings. We are NOT overly gay or show affection in public and do NOT want to go on a "GAY" safari with a buch of "screaming queens" Are some countries more accepting than others or as long as we act like buddies will we be o.k.?
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:01 PM

I understand your concern, but I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. Not sure how uncomfortable you'd feel with the buddies thing, but I'd probably opt for that in your shoes. I'm pretty timid, though.

I don't know about different countries, but wouldn't South Africa be the most okay? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

There was a thread about a subject close to this (re:Zanzibar) quite a while ago. Unfortunately, a very hateful person started posting rather ugly comments, so I'm not sure how that all ended up. I do know that the gentlemen who initially raised the questions thoroughly enjoyed their safari in Kenya as well as their time on the beach near Mombasa.

Safari is incredible! If you do some reading on the culture of whichever country you visit ahead of time, and maybe can deal with a don't-ask-don't-tell policy, I suspect you could have a wonderful experience.

It's an interesting, important question. I hope someone can answer better than I can.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:16 PM
bwanamitch

millville,

I've met travelers of same sex in several safari camps, and there should be no problem as long as acting like buddies (otherwise, in some countries, you will get trouble with justice). Last year I have been on safari in Kenya with a good friend (I'm not gay), and I can't remember even a curious glance.

Our Way Travel & Safaris (www.ourway.co.za) offers a good selection of gay-owned or gay-friendly game lodges.

Mitch

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM
bwanamitch

PS: I would have no problem with some "screaming queens" - would add some spice to those often boring camp evenings. And all the "queens" I know are really nice people.

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:03 PM

Throughout Africa I've run into men and women traveling in pairs, sometimes with other couples and other times alone. Upon talking with them they have indicated they were partners and shared a home and life, but showed no open affection. From what I could tell they were having a great time on safari and all was going well for them.

I've never encountered what I took to be a group safari departure for gays, but maybe these would limit themselves to select properties.

If good wildlife viewing is your goal, and as you mentioned you were not interested in being affectionate in public, I would not limit your accommodations to gay friendly places, which may or may not have the best wildlife.

As two buddies I would think you can go anywhere and enjoy yourselves. With the cost of accommodations, it would be expected that you share a tent or room with your travel partner.

Have fun planning and going on safari.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:45 AM

Hello,

As you probably know, South Africa is the only country in the world with a clause in its constitution enshrining gay rights. If you go on safari in South Africa, you shouldn't have anything to worry about -- and you'll have the law on your side if something does happen.

I've travelled in South Africa and Botswana, and shared camps with same-sex and opposite-sex people travelling in pairs. As far as I could tell, the same-sex travelling companions were not treated any differently than the opposite-sex travelling companions.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:34 AM
sandi

Last year there was a gay couple who inquired as you do now. I believe it was "Steve007NY" - you can do a search for his threads. He and his partner traveled to Kenya and Tanzania ending with a few days on the coast - the Mombassa area. Steve didn't post a full trip report, but on his return, the brief comments he did share here on Fodor's were "raves" about the entire experience. And at no time did they or were they made to feel uncomfortable - even to asking for one bed at their lodgings (doubles/queens/kings) depending on the particular lodge or camp.

On many trips, you'll find pairs of men or women and unless they provided information as to "being gay" nobody would know. Some might guess, but that's their issue.

I've traveled to Africa with both another female friend on some trips; more often with a male friend many times, we weren't married and probably got more curious looks and questions then would a gay couple.

Another point, we've seen more local men holding hands in Africa then in western cultures (with the exception of so-called gay communities) - nobody gives a second glance at this.

Plan your trip to Eastern or Southern Africa and enjoy an outstanding experience and adventure. And don't hesitate returning here with your questions - where, when, how long, lodges/camps, etc, etc.

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:18 AM

Hi Millville
Any of the high end lodges in Zambia would welcome with open arms gay travellers queens or not.
As long as you stick to the lodges and act sensibly in the city then all will be well.
Good luck and dont be scared!