Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Weather and Migration location in December in East Africa???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I would like to go to Tanzania in June, as planned, I will likely push it off until late December, possibly right after next Christmas.

I already have a Radisson Seven Seas Cruise booked for May 05th, out of Madeira, Portugal, that will flow very nicely into my Italy tour.

Because I have already made a $500 non-refundable deposit and have a pretty great 2 for 1 rate on the cruise, AND have an opportunity to bumble along for 26.2 miles in the Trieste Marathon on May 02nd (I will not say RUN 26.2 miles because in all honesty it will be a combination of jogging/walking/crawling/cursing since there is no way that I will be in shape by then). But...at least it will get me on the right path before I am confused for a hippopotamus and will allow me to check off Europe from my list of running a marathon on seven continents. Also, I am sure that I will be able to find the right dates I need to qualify for free Business class seats with my frequent flier miles if I hold off until the end of the year.

Back to the subject at hand...where will the Migration likely be at the end of December/beginning of January??? For those that have been to Selous, do you happen to know if a December visit would be recommended? Also, how about Tarangire in December??? I prefer to keep it all in Tanzania but may consider the Masai Mara, if necessary to see the Migration.

Thanks.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Hi Roccco! It is to my understanding that the vast majority of migratory animals are in the southern Serengeti, Ndutu area, at that time. Of course, as you have read time and time again, much of where the animals are depends on the rains - or lack thereof. December is one of the warmer months.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 12:49 PM

I also think the migration in December will be in the Serengeti (check Mark Nolting's book). Also, you should bear in mind that at least with respect to frequent flier miles, December and the Christmas holidays are high season and not that far off, so you may want to secure a booking now and then I think you have two weeks to ticket it. Even after ticketed, for a small fee you can change it, but I would advise to grab the biz class seats while you can.

On Friday, I tried to use miles for two biz class seats to Johannesburg, and all we were able to get was coach. I'm holding the reservation, but I think I may try to get to Nairobi so I can take my girlfriend on her first safari to Governor's Camp in Masai Mara. Even after five safaris, there is nothing like the Masai Mara/Serengeti during migration.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:06 PM
sandi

According to the information I have on Tanzania Migration -
For the Serengeti it is between November to June (different times in different areas); and for Tarangire, between June to October.

While for Kenya - in the Mara it's July to October (September if usually the best).

But as we've all come to learn, and as SusanLynne mentioned - it's the rains that determine when the animals start moving. And lately, if anyone has missed it, weather has been strange worldwide. This year in particular, migration in the Mara lasted longer than expected (till end-Nov/beg-Dec), so the return to the Serengeti was later than usual - so you have to hope that the rains are on time in any given year.

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I would love to ring in the New Year (2005) in Africa, if possible. How exciting Christmas would be with the knowledge that I would be leaving for Tanzania the very next day!

At the risk like sounding like I am full of...um, hot air, this sounds like a nice itinerary:

December 26th - Depart LAX to Kiliminjaro (connecting in Amsterdam).
December 27th - En Route?
December 28th - Arrive Kiliminjaro. 2 nights at Ngorongoro Crater Lodge.
December 29th - NC
December 30th - Straight to Serengeti, I suppose, if Tarangire is not recommended in December. Five nights in the Serengeti, possibly split between a couple different lodges.
December 31st - Serengeti
January 01st - Serengeti
January 02nd - Serengeti
January 03rd - Serengeti
January 04th - Zanzibar??? Beats the frigid L.A. weather that may possibly only be 70 degrees during the day.
January 05th - Zanzibar???
January 06th - Zanzibar???
January 07th - If Selous is recommended (gotta refer to Mark Nolting's book that I already misplaced, even in all of its bulk) then I will move onto Selous for four nights. Otherwise, I will return home or look for something else convenient to my itinerary that will not take me South of Tanzania.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Game viewing in Selous during December/January is supposed to be "good." As for your comments about the chilly L.A. weather in December, why not come here to New Hampshire and then you would really appreciate that African warmth!!!