Tanzania Safari, Jan 2009

Oct 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania Safari, Jan 2009

Hello. I've been reading different messages on travel to Tanzania and am very impressed with the responses. Everyone is so helpful!
My husband and I are planning a trip to Tanzania/Zanzibar January 2009), and I would welcome any feedback on our proposed itinerary (not yet confirmed).

Day 1: Arrive Tanzania travel to Arusha. Spend night in Molvaro Lodge
Day 2: Travel to Gibbs Farm, Lake Manyara
Day 3: Gibbs Farm to Olduvai Camp (Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
Day 4: Central Serengeti, Ronjo Camp
Day 5: Central Serengeti, Ronjo Camp
Day 6: Southcentral Serengeti: Olduvai Tented Camps
Day 7: Zanzibar: Karamba (hotel) at Kizimkazi Dimbani beach (located in southern portion of island)
Day 8: Zanzibar: Karamba
Day 9: Stone Town: Dhow Palace

I would also welcome any thought on the tented camps (did you find them to be clean, what were the facilities like, did you like other camps better, etc.).

Also, please let me know if you would recommend adding Tarangine NP to our itinerary. Many thanks! I look forward to hearing your responses.

Oct 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM

If you have more days to add, I'd put them in the Southern Serengeti rather than Tarangire that time of year. In Jan. the migration is likely to be in the Southern Serengeti. When in Jan are you going?

Have a great trip!
Oct 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM

I agree with Lynn. This sounds like an ATR itinerary. Did they let you know what is was/available for your dates? That and location in the Serengeti would be my concerns at this point.

I've stayed at Moivaro (definitely go into to town fpr dinner if you have the energy), Olduvai and Ronjo--although an entirely different season. Some photos are here:

http://www.pbase.com/leelygoes/camps_and_lodges

Oct 7th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. Is it better to stay in lodges than tents?
Oct 7th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

We'll be going the middle of January, but our dates are flexible.
Oct 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM

I've stayed at Olduvai and Ronjo, in February, right in the middle of the migration. I loved both camps. Food is maybe not the greatest but the camps more than make up for that imho. We didn't go there for the food after all.
We had lions in the camp at Ronjo one night - very exciting!
Gibbs Farm can get a bit crowded, especially at lunchtimes, but the staff are friendly and the food is wonderful.
Moivaro is fine for the first night, is you are arriving in the evening you can just have a snack rather than a full meal, which is probably the better bet.
Have a wonderful trip.
Oct 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Kiki, I'd rather stay in tents than lodges--just my opinion. And again, if you can add a day, add it to the Serengeti.

Have fun!
Oct 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM

tents vs lodges
Most of us who have become enamored with Africa like tents more than lodges. Keep in mind the tents are not 2 person pup tents but walk-ins with ensuite loo and beds. If in doubt, check on the type of tents with the agent.

Tents allow for a closer connection to nature with animals roaming through at night, when you are safely zipped inside.

Lodges can be more economical though because of economies of scale.

Oct 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM

We didn't stay at any of the places you booked. Our only tented place was at Kikoti and it was fabulous. I would have stayed at tents the whole time but we planned our trip only three months in advance. The lodges were very nice also. It's the ambiance of the tents that is so awesome. Photos at www.pbase.com/pattyroth
Oct 8th, 2008, 01:09 AM

Tented camps are the way to go - sitting by the camp fire in the evening talking to the Maasai, listening to the night sounds outside your tent (including the aforementioned lion), seeing a Genet running around whilst eating dinner - all highlights of our trip.
Whilst at Olduvai do go up into the kopje if you have time in the evening - you will see lots of hyraxes and can watch the sun go down from up there. They also have a telescope up there which you can ask to use.
We had the tent up in the kopje, and had hyraxes running around all night - it was great!
I can't comment on the Zanzibar par of your trip as we chose not to go to Zanzibar on our trip.
Saving up to go again maybe next year, maybe 2010 depending on how things pan out with this crisis.
Oct 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM

Hi, Kiki:

We stayed 2 nights in Swala Camp in Tarangire. Actually saw the largest concentration of elephant anywhere on our numerous trips. We had lions in camp every night. There is a feeling of being in old Africa that you don't find everywhere these days. But beware of tsetse flies. They were horrible and unrelenting.