Search

Gametracker Safaris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gametracker Safaris

My boyfriend and I just booked a kenyan safari for 7 days, six nights going to Samburu, Baringo, Nakuru, & Masai Mara leaving August 13 - August 19th with Gametrackers safaris. Has anyone ever used them before? We are doing the budget camping option, so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

We are also staying in Nairobi for 2 nights as layovers between our departures and had booked the Sarova Stanley. Is this place okay? I have read mixed reviews.

We are also planning a trip to Tanzanzia & zanzibar afterwards, but were planning on arranging a safari when we arrived in Arusha - is this advisable? Also does anyone have any recommendations for budget options in Tanzania?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Have you checked Lonely Planet Thorntree yet? I've seen several positive reports of Gametrackers there. For budget camping in Tanzania, try Sunny Safaris or Base Camp. Good luck!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice! I looked a little on Thorntree, but have found the postings on fodor's to a lot more thorough I will definitely take your advice on Sunny or Base Camp. Since we are going in the middle of high season Augsut 12-September 1st, should I make all of our arrangements in advance (i still haven't booked our Tanzania safari option) or just try and figure it out when we get there...anything to keep the cost as low as it can be for a trip to Africa
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM

It would be a shame to arrive and find there is no (little) space available at the parks you wish to visit; lack of vehicles/driver/guides. I don't believe you want to have to take "left-overs" because you have no other option.

Contact those outfitters Patty mentions and inquire as to what they can do for you. It's better to do this now than wasting precious time once in Arusha seeking out outfitters to help, with the possibility of a shoddy operator.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:42 AM

You could contact a few operators in advance and see if they already have scheduled trips for your dates (I assume you want to join others to save $). Even if they don't have any groups scheduled at this time, they might have something later, so I'd keep in contact. If you plan to camp, you could probably arrange something on arrival but it might take a couple of days. Do some advance research and make sure you go with a reputable operator.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. I definitely agree. However, I have been having a hard time convincing my boyfriend of this point, since he is the more seasoned traveler and prefers to do things after having a chance to check them out. I, on the other hand, have been worried about not being able to find something once we are there. He has also found solace in the fact that there are interesting options of things to do in and around arusha, so waiting around for a tour to start wouldn't be that big of a deal. Since we are camping, is there the same danger of campsites filling up?

I sent an email to Sunny and will let you know what I find out. Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Patty,

I just got an email back from Sunny and they said exactly what you did I guess at present they don't have any Group put together for our request and could make no guarantee, but we should either check back with them later on or once we arrive in Arusha.

The following is the sample itinerary i was looking at. Any thoughts?

Day 1: Tarangire National Park -overnight Wild Palm Campsite

Day 2: Serengeti National Park -overnight Seronera Campsite.

Day 3: Serengeti National Park -overnight Seronera Campsite.

Day 4: Serengeti National Park/ Ngorongoro Crater - overnight Simba Campsite

Day 5: Ngorongoro Crater depart for Lake Manyara- overnight Twiga Campsite.

Day 6: Lake Manyara and mid afternoon departure for Arusha

From what I have read, would it be mroe advisable to stay in Tarangire longer and less Serengeti?

Base Camp looks great too! I will send them an email as well. Thanks again to both of you for all of your help! It is so nice to have people that have been there give me advice!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I don't think it's so much a factor of campsite availability as your first/second choice operators being full (though it may still be possible for them to hire outside vehicles and driver/guides, if that's something they do). I think you're going about it the right way. If end up booking in Arusha, make note of the operators that get good reviews here and on other forums (and also the ones that get bad/questionable reviews!). Be careful that you may come across postings by operators posing as satisfied clients (doesn't happen so often on this forum). It's not that hard to figure out which recommendations are genuine, usually by checking out that person's other posts. While I think another day in Tarangire would be good at that time of year, you may not be able to be too particular about the itinerary and may have to take what's available. Keep us updated!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Will do. This is certainly one of those trips where the planning can be a little overwhelming, but I can't wait for Augsut to get here! Based on everyone's posts, it sounds like a life changing event. Any recommendations on Zanzibar? Currently i was looking into the Zanzibar Coffee Lodge or Beit Al Amaan for 2 days, 2 days in Matemwe (if i can find lodging) since we would like ot go diving, and possibly 1 day in Bweijuu. Pongwe also looked good, but was unsure about the salt water only showers thing.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM

Never been to Zanzibar but wanted to add one more comment. When in Arusha, you may be approached by flycatchers who will tell you they already have a trip going and just need 1 or 2 more people when in fact they do not and are telling that to everyone in hopes of getting enough people to sign on. You may find this article entertaining http://tinyurl.com/3adat9
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

That article is amazing! I was prepared for some of that, but I didn't realize the lengths that people go to. I definitely appreciate the advice. I will probably try to line up a few copanies as options beforehand and go check them out once we arrive in Arusha. With some luck they will have space for us. Unless I can convince my boyfriend to book this part of the trip in advance