Funzi Keys vs. Mombasa Serena vs. Peponi's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any chance that anyone has been to Funzi Keys (South Coast), Mombasa Serena (North Coast) and Peponi's (Lamu)?

Any preferences from one to the other?

Old Oct 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM

stayed @ mombasa serena in august for a week.

despite the "renovations" this hotel's strong suit is big city hotel type service and good food, but not the rooms and not the beach and certainly neither the "gym" nor the "pool."

the rooms are still very dark, in small cement two storey clusters if you want to be closest to the beach, and in a larger building further back. it is all on such a tiny plot of land, one wonders (when you see the african safari lands adjacent) why they didn;t buy the surrounding lands when they were for sale.

the beach is very narrow and wall to wall "beach boys" from dawn to dusk.

i had a lot of business to take care of (international tickets to buy/ packages to send/ things to fax) so i appreciated the full-service aspects, but if this were my only visit to a beach on vacation, i would definitely pass.

also, i was stung by jellyfish and there was no warning sign. when i mentioned it to the (separate but affiliated with the hotel) dive shop, one person denied that they existed, but a younger, nicer guy said it was true. no signs. no apologies.

if you were my friend i would tell you to find a different holiday spot.

if you had a night's forced stopover in mombasa, then this would be fine.

those who seemed to be enjoying it were 20 something honeymooners from the u.k. and old timers wearing knee socks with their shorts.

the lawn by the beach was fine for lazing. that part was ok, but i would never return there, and i was enjoying a discounted summer rate of under $200 a night with some meals.

kerikeri
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Sorry you had such a bad time at the Serena. I always thought they were good. Perhaps Peponi might be better as it's independent?
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 03:58 AM
sandi

Funzi Key is about 2.5/times more expensive than Serena or Peponi. Serena will have a/c, the others don't.

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Where you stay depends on what you are looking for. Lamu is must see for cultural aficionados but unless you plan to move around everyday, the coast further south may be a better bet. In Lamu, the Kijani House Hotel and Kipungani Explorer are interesting alternatives. You should check out the Che Shale, north of Malindi, as well as Alfajiri Villas in Diani.

While http://www.kidscantravel.com is oriented towards families you may find the info on the Kenyan Coast relevant.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 08:31 AM

thanks simbakubwa-

i hope it didn't sound too whiny- i just don;t want you to make a mistake (i was already living in africa for the summer, so it was not a trip of a lifetime type disappointment, but for many people it could be and i always try to do everything to prevent others from having a bad time.)

also, in 4 months in africa, the lobby of the serena (open air) was the first place i got a visible mosquito bite!

and i had been camping and sleeping in some questionable places in uganda...

if you fall into the above categories, you might like it, though!

kerikeri

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Going to Mombasa after safari in Kenya and Tanzania in January. My choice was between Funzi Keys and Alfajari Villas. Though the latter won out for the complete privacy, Funzi Keys looked fantastic and has great reviews. It is in the high price range, but if you have the budget, it seems worth it.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:45 AM

I stayed at serena around and had a great time - shame that kerikeri had a bad time.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 04:00 PM

I haven't been to any of them, but the properties you listed strike me as being <b>entirely</b> different from each other. It's a bit like asking someone if they prefer apples, oranges or pomegranates. Perhaps you could tell us what qualities you're looking for in a beach resort and location?
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM

I love the Serena.
As for jelly fish... IT'S THE SEA!!!

Would you expect a sign for every possible danger? Jellyfish there are not common... and as for expection an apology from the dive centre are you SERIOUS?!?

Learned to dive there, spent in total about 6 weeks there over the last 4 years and love every aspect of it. Rooms are nice... staff are like family now.

Old Oct 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
sandi

Patty's correct, these are three different types of properties. And at different price ranges. Serena a lodge, Peponi a small family owner house; Funzi Key small thatched bandas... noted from the least expensive to the highest.

As to jelly fish - yup, the sea. I've been on lots of beaches with signs - Oahu, Sydney - Seychelles Fire Island and the Hamptons - people are still in the waters.