Search

From the USA to South Africa first class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 05:44 AM
z
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the USA to South Africa first class

We would like to visit South Africa sometime in 2005 but only if we could find inexpensive first class air fares from the US. Can anyone here offer suggestions how to go about finding such air fares? Thanks
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 10:30 AM

I don't have any suggestions for cheap 1st class fares. However, I do think this kind of a trip is by far the best use of your frequent flyer miles if that is an option.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 12:39 PM
z
Original Poster

I read many posts here of those who travel to South Africa. It looks that almost everyone is staying in very expensive hotels/lodges. If you can afford staying in such expensive place you can afford to fly the first class too, right? Any suggestions on finding decent first class air fares? I cannot imagine flying all the way to Jahannesburgh from Atlanta in coach.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 01:21 PM

What does inexpensive mean? Go to Expedia,Orbitz,Travelocity,Premier tours etc.Your question sounds as if you've never flown before let alone in first class.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 01:23 PM
sandi

Check your local papers for consolidators and see what they can offer you for first class tickets. If not FC, then go for Business. But if these consolidator tickets are highly discounted, you might not be able to accrue frequent flyer miles - if that is of interest to you.

Old Oct 10th, 2004, 01:44 PM
z
Original Poster

Thank you Sandi for a very useful information. We fly frequently to Europe and sometimes first class but never to Soth Africa. This would be our first trip to South Africa.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 03:59 PM

I believe that most who are fortunate enough to fly business class or first class are doing so because of their frequent flier miles.

Personally, unless I was making seven digits annually, I could not see myself spending the money on first class tickets, although I will not hesitate to spend $500 pp per night on a nice lodge, and if the trip is a short one, possibly splurge with a Singita for $1,000 pp per night.

I do think that anyone that can afford the nicer lodges more likely than not also has a healthy balance of frequent flier miles at their disposal that they can, in turn, use for the desired business class/first class seats that are otherwise outrageously expensive.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Suggestion - If there are 2 of you going to S.A. and you choose to fly on SAA from ATL to S.A., if you already have an American Express Platinum Card, using Am. Express Travel Service you can pay for one B/C ticket and get a complimentary B/C ticket with the same itinerary. Cost - approx. $6,500, depending upon when you purchase the ticket. BTW- the 2-4-1 covers the international portion of the flight only; for the domestic portion to ATL, you are on your own.

A key to further "softening" the cost may be to make sure that your internal S.A. itinerary is covered as much as possible by the originally purchased B/C ticket (i.e., R/T from ATL to JNB, with a stopover in CPT - this gets to you to both Johannesburg and Cape Town). The Travel Service people may have other ideas, as well.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
In first class, figure around US$9000 per person, $5000-$6000 or so in business, depending on the season. You may be able to save significantly on that if you begin your trip in Europe; for example Emirates offers a sub-$4000 FC trip via Dubai.

While it's true many fliers in business class are using miles or free tickets, many also travel on company business. As a result, there are few consolidators or sources for "inexpensive" premium cabin fares. Note for most people modern business class accommodations (flat beds, etc.) are quite acceptable, even if the caviar is saved for those pax up front.

If you truly want to go FC, the best deal going right now is a round-the-world ticket. Look at Star Alliance (United, Canadian, South African next year, others) or OneWorld (American, British, Qantas.) Business- or first-class RTW tickets are not cheap (various routings, total stops, mileage limits etc.), but they offer much better value than point-to-point FC or business-class fares.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 04:01 AM
z
Original Poster

Jrruff and Gardyloo, thank you both for additional great information. This is what I really wanted to know. Now I need to check with American Express and a very interesting idea a round-the-world ticket. Thanks
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 05:03 AM

I was able to get two first class tickets from 2afrika.com last year for just over $3000 each. Premiertours.com also has some great specials from time to time.

In the event you are using air miles, you'll want to book right away. The airlines allot a certain amount of seats for that and they tend to book up nearly a year in advance, or so I was told when I tried several months ago.

As far as airline consolidators go, Orbitz has the best fares that I've found online, and I've been searching maniacilly for a while now. Keep in mind that several airlines have "combined" first and business class (South African Airways no longer has first). SAA was voted #1 international carrier this year - best seats, best service. Their internet fares are lower than if you call & speak with an agent - go to flysaa.com
If you're concerned about the long journey, they'd probably be your best bet as they offer a direct flight from NYC at 19 hours as opposed to the two days (30+ hrs) it takes on many carriers.
As I said, last year we flew first and could see no difference between the business class seats - no difference in the food, even.

Here's a website that does reviews on business and first class cabins:
http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/A-Z.htm
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 05:04 AM

Personally wife and I have flown First Class to Europe + South America a few times and then Business to Hong Kong and then down to South Africa. I have never seen that much of a difference in Business Class vs First Class (ok they have sleepers in First, get more food etc, but not that much of a difference to warrant going to first if i was going to spend miles or dollars). Id go Business Class every time if I could and save the money/miles for a future flight. They still give you access to the lounges and the seats recline almost flat. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 05:24 AM

I got my business class tickets from a local travel agent who I found to be about $1000 cheaper than Expedia or Travelocity. We have a very complicated itenerary anr he was able to help us get a cheaper rate. We are flying with Emirates Air to South Africa from New York. You can contact him (Maula Bari) at [email protected]. Only catch is that he charges extra if you pay by credit card, but he does accept checks! Just email or call him at (212) 971-9111 and tell him that Regina told you about him and see what he can do for you.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Buffy, not that it's relevant to me, as I'm unlikely to ever fly 1st class and in recent years I've flown BA business, but SAA have only dropped 1st class on the new A340s. So presumably that means for the direct U.S. flights, which I know is the subject of this thread. But there is still a 1st class on the LHR route (both JNB and CPT), using 747s.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Another fodorite posted to be careful
on the AMX 2:1 fare as the cost is not
$6500 for two but more like $11.500 because they use the "J" code fare for the the biz class ticket that qualifies for the 2:1 deal..check with AMX to be sure..Try the consolidator www.flyfirstclass.com they offer tickets to Africa Biz class at $3700 each..Buffyp73's deal sounds best tho
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM

colonwes - GREAT website! I sent through an airfare request, and their prices by far beat out Orbitz for last-minute fares; first class for $5500, business class for $4500, and SAA for $3800 per ticket, and this is for flights departing NEXT WEEK! I have tried calling their offices, but they've left for the day. If I'm actually able to book through them at those rates I will let you know. Thanks for the great tidbit!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:09 AM

buffy, sounds super, pls let me know
as we will probably use the same agency if I don't have the FF by April 06 when
we go to SA.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Colonwes -
EEK!! Still waiting on a final reply from flyfirstclass.com - They were supposed to get back with me yesterday, and I never heard from them. Have had no response from phone calls or emails today, either. I will let you know what happens, though. In the meantime, back to forage on Orbitz...
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:00 PM

buffy, hope they come through for you..if not try

www.biztravels.com

they have biz class to Africa R/T from
states priced at $3495.

Good luck

r/wes
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 11:56 AM

any news did you get the fares promised??
keep us posted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -