Search

Frequent flier miles inquiry

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frequent flier miles inquiry

Hi Gang,

My husband and I are in the preliminary planning stages for a trip to Botswana and Vic Falls for next year. We will likely fly out of Atlanta, Georgia.

I've got about 200,000 frequent flier miles on Northwest Airlines...partners with Delta who are partners with South African Air. I am assuming I might be able to get to Joberg and back, but do you know if there is a way to include those extra legs into Maun and out of Vic Falls with those same miles? I'm trying to use my ff miles to cover the airfare portion of our flights.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Allison
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:54 AM
sandi

SAA will no longer be a partner with Delta by the time you travel. Rather they will partner with Star Alliance of which United is a primary partner.

With NWA miles, your best choice would probably be KLM out of Amsterdam. So check what other carrier other than KLM that might help you. So I believe it's not likely your miles will get you to Maun which is Air Botswana or SAA); while to VFA, it's BA or SAA.

You can probably get fares between JNB/VFA average about $350 r/t person; though there is a new carrier that might offer lower fares - check Nationwide which is SA-based; and JNB/Maun - again fares vary, depending on season and carrier and possible "deals."

Hope this helps you get started.

Start checking your options now so that you're not without seats.

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Why don't you check out <b>www.flyertalk.com</b>. Register and post your question on the Delta forum. If anybody knows any possible way on how to squeeze the most out of your miles, it's the great members on Flyertalk.

Good luck!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 12:57 PM

Since you have NW miles, you should look up their website for info. Two partners fly to Africa - KLM and Kenya Airways. Both KL and Kenya flies AMS to Nairobi, then you can connect to Lusaka or Harare. That's probably the closest your miles can get you.

90K miles roundrip in coach, 120K in Business/First.

You cannot claim miles on a partner of a partner airlines.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:30 PM

I'm so happy that SAA is teaming up with United. Thanks for the info.I've been on both United and Delta's programs forever and definitely prefer United's. I went to Ghana a few months ago on United's program for 80,000 miles, but got ticketed on Delta's program for a ticket to Ghana for this coming winter and, as I remember, had to cash in 90,000 miles for a ticket to Ghana on their program. So, I prefer dealing with United.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I didn't go to Ghana on SAA, but on Lufthansa with United and Ailitalia will get me there under Delta's program. I'm just happy that I will be able to access other parts of Africa by United teaming up with SAA. Didn't want to mislead anyone. Sorry. Happy travels!