Fraudulent Safari Operator

Aug 31st, 2017, 09:11 PM
Original Poster
Fraudulent Safari Operator

We had a really bad experience with a Safari Operator in Zambia, with the name Mophy Budget safaris. We gave them our deposit so that they reserve camps/lodges for us, but they never did, despite telling us several times that the reservation was done.

When we contacted the lodges/camps they did not know about us, there was not even a provisional booking.

Now 10 months have passed and they have not returned our deposit. The name of the owner is Moffat Fungamwango known as Mophy. He promised us over 20 times in writing that he will refund our money, yet he never did. We only received one lie after another.
Aug 31st, 2017, 09:13 PM
Original Poster
Below are the various emails they sent us promising to return our deposit. These were sent over a 2 month period earlier this year:

"I will send to you . I will not let you down."

"I keep my words . you will receive your money . thanks mophy"

"Hello, your payment is in process . I'm not the sole proprietor. Thanks mophy"

"Happy new year. Yes I will send . I have no problem with you. If still interested we can still conduct your tour . and you will pay us at the end of the tour . when you are satisfied with our service. mophy"

"Hello, sorry for not responding to your mail I was out of network coverage. I will pay you back as soon as get back to my place. Thanks mophy"

"Hello, I hope you are fine . I will definatly send your money. Next day as I told you I'm on tour. Thanks mophy"

"Hello, I will send back the January mid kindly send your bank details . thanks mophy"

I'm writing this to warn other visitors to Zambia and Malawi, to avoid such a fraudulent safari operator.
Sep 7th, 2017, 05:54 PM
I am sorry you are dealing with this. How did you pay the deposit?
Nov 6th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Original Poster
Thanks Michele. I know it is a mess for us.

We did a bank transfer - no way to reverse by the Bank. But we are doing our utmost to expose him with authorities and any future clients he may attract. We think he has been doing this for a long time.

Search this Thread