for Selwyn

Nov 19th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

for Selwyn

Ok i've seen you recommend Botlierskop
Private Game Reserve several times -- and i thought i'd give them a try -- so i checked their website -- and this is quote -- Accomodation rates for the 2003/2004 Season
Valid from October 2003 - September 2004
Opening special - 30% discount on quoted rack rate valid until 20 Nov 2003
(unfortunately we cannot accommodate children u/12)

sounds good -- PRICES -- Opening Special 1nt -- R 1,390 2nts which we wanted R 2,760

so we ring up and ask have they rooms for our dates ohh yes -- we then quote the web price i'm sorry the web price is a mistake not happy -- so we were offered R1590 Per person per night -- heres the site so you can see -- i think its a take on myself -- but i still would love to go there. http://www.botlierskop.co.za/rates_new.htm

jj........
Nov 19th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Selwyn i think its my fault the way i looked at it -- the offer was only for bookings staying up to the 20 nov 2003 -- but in saying that i've made 2 phone calls and i'm stilling waiting on an email -- not a great service

jj......
Nov 19th, 2003, 11:29 AM

Glentoran,

The minute that I saw your email I took it up telephonically with Aneri Vlok who is one of the managers at Botelierskop. This was her response to me this evening:

Dear Selwyn
I have handed the matter over to Francina, our general manager, as we see
this as a very serious matter. She will come back to you with a solution
early tomorrow morning.

We do appreciate you bringing these matters to our attention.

Aneri

Thus hold tight for the next day or 2 and lets wait and see what happens......

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Nov 19th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Selwyn -- i'm still waiting on that email -- the girl this afternoon checked my email address and said she'd sent it of -- in saying that we've looked at another Game Reserve called Aquila have you heard anything about it Selwyn???

thanks again
Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:52 PM

Glentoran,

I am on the Garden Route touring right now and that makes internet communications rather difficult hence this rather late reply.

I have been in touch with Botlierskop since Thusrday past and have had the below answers for you since then however I just have not had a chance to respond to you via the Fodors Forum as yet.

In terms of Botlierskop not responding to your per email they took down the wrong email address when you phoned them hence their no response. I rectified the address as per the mail that you sent me and by now you should have had a response from Botliers.

More important is the below self explanatory mail from the general manager of Botlierskop that I have had since Thursday (Once again apologies for the delay)

Hi Selwyn,

Regarding the enquiry about our rates.

On the website the old R1390.00 rates we valid till 20th November only, as John C mailed back to you.
Our new rates as of the 21st of November is R1590.00. I know that on our website it is specified as R1980.00
Please note that we have decreased the rates with 20% due to the exchange rate that is so poor.

Regarding the e-mail address. I am still trying to get the right one as the one that we have is returning as undelivered mail - If you could me so kind in assisting us in the correct adress so that we can reply to his mail promtly.

Also due to the confusion about the rates we would love to offer John C the old rate (R1390.00 min 10%) as service is very high on our priority list and we would realy like accommodate him at Botlierksop Private Game Reserve. Also note that this is a special offer and would not be offered to any other except him.

Many thanks in assisting us in this matter.

Kind regards

Francina Terblanche
General Manager
Botlierksop Private Game Reserve
[email protected]

OK Glentoran I can do no more than what I have achieved and now the ball is in your court.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Nov 24th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Selwyn -- i have recived the email from Botlierskop -- but i'm still a bit unhappy firstly my wife and i phoned 3 times -- each time repeating our email adress to them -- so i can't understand how it was taken down wrong 3 times -- as a result of which doesn't give me a good first impression -- so i've decided to book my 2nts at Aquila Private Game Reserve at which i might add was of more of a cost to us both ( both they were very helpful on the phone ) -- so money didn't come into -- I can't stress how much 1st impressions are important to people.

john c
Nov 24th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Hello Glentoran,

Fair warning about something and that is that you are dealing with people who speak Afrikaans predominantly. What happened was that when you spelt the name stewart they spelt the name as steward. I must mention that this is VERY NORMAL amongst Afrikaans speaking people and if you dont pronounce your D and T correctly when spelling your name you are going to have a had time in SA with the name. In simple language I understand where you are coming from as well as where Botlierskop are coming from on this whole issue. With that said I musy mention that Botliers missing your booking wont damage them whereas imho by you not visiting them you are doing your tour of the Garden Route a dishonour.

I also hate to tell you this but yesterday I found out from two Garden Route tourguides whom I had not spoken to originally that Aquila is definitely not pumped up as to what it is supposed be aand besides anything else it is way off the normal touring track. Furthermore by you not going to Botlierskop you will be missing out on one of the most unique and exciting experiences that I have ever experienced when it comes to game viewing and that is by doing the journey on a quad bike. There is no two ways in my mind that this is the very best of the new ways to view game and to my knowledge Botlierskop is the only game farm that offers this facility.

Enough said from my side on this whole issue.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Nov 24th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

I understand where you're coming from Selwyn -- but i hope people read this 3 times we spelt our email address in the Phonetic Alphabet which i think we can agree that even Afrikaans would know this. And infact you're wrong Selwyn the problem wasn't with Stewart it was with NTLWORLD.COM.In fact Botlierskop had our phone number but couldn't even ring us back if there was a problem with the email.
I just wonder why you're pushing this reserve -- i mean Aquila is double the size of Botlierskop you even said their accommodation was of a higher grade. can you tell me if you haven't been to Aquila how sure you are of how bad it is ( i'll be mentioning your name to them and how well you serve them )for your information Aquila run Quad bike Safaris. also you say its out of the way -- can you tell if this is not easy to find - Take the N1 from Cape Town.10km before Touwsriver turn left onto the R46 to Ceres.
Entrance 2km on the left. Seems easy to me - but i guess i'm British lol. All in all i do think Botlierskop will miss our business - because my wife works in the UK travel trade.

JMHO of course

john c
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:57 PM

Hey glentoran:

You asked Selwyn about Aquila. He didn't bring it up. In response to your inquiry, Selwyn spoke to a couple of guides who offered their impressions which he passed on to you. You don't like what you hear so you take it out on Selwyn by implying he's a shill and promising to tell the proprietors of Aquila what he said (even though he made it clear he was relaying third party information, and even though he went out of his way to try to smooth over your original problem). Nice form buddy.
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Well Steveboy i'm glad of your opinion -- i think you've got your facts wrong -- i for one would never run any place down i've not stayed there. As a matter of fact as i've pointed out and you can check this yourself - Selwyn said quote "Botlierskop you will be missing out on one of the most unique and exciting experiences that I have ever experienced when it comes to game viewing and that is by doing the journey on a quad bike - Botlierskop is the only game farm that offers this facility." As i've said if you haven't stayed there don't comment on it because it's WRONG - Aquila run Quad bike Safaris as well -- now if you were running Aquila would you not be offended that a so called travel consultant was giving out the wrong info?

I do appreciate Selwyn ringing Botlierskop -- but this was without me asking him do this - and doesn't automatically mean i have to book with them -- plus i'm still at a loss as to why Selwyn is pushing this one reserve so hard -- maybe others can draw their own conclusions to that.

In finishing Steveboy maybe you could read the whole posts over again....

john c

Nov 24th, 2003, 11:00 PM

Ouch. This is NOT where I wanted this thread to go.

Thanks for the support Steveboy but I have to set the record straight. Glentoran and I have been in email communication all the way on the Botlierskop issue and I do believe he has a point to make. I do also believe that he reacted hastily because as I see matters, based on my own experience he will be missing out by not going to Botlierskop. I dont for one minute believe that he has and even thinks that I am a shill and I am not even going into this because as I think you all know I certainly am not as such.

All that I want is for Glentoran and every Fodorite to get the very best of SA and to enjoy themselves to the hilt in the process. Thus I will only recommend what I know and more important will say it as it is so that all can gain from the experience.

For all I know Aquila is great and for Glentoran's sake I hope it is. What I do know is that Botlierskop is a 100% surefire good experience and that is the only reason why I have pushed it and done what I can to help Glentoran as I would any other Fodorite.

All I can say is that Glentoran seems to be a very reasonable person and we have had great communications together. My own last posting might have seemed harsh so I take total blame for the way this is going and would suggest that we leave it where it is.

Once again thanks for the support Steveboy even though it is unnecessary and I look forward to Glentoran's Aquila report so that we can all gain from his and his wife's experience.

Hope this sorts all out.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Nov 26th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad the last post was delete -- Selwyn i can't agree more - no matter what kind of stay i have - i'll do a trip report cause thats how we get good honest reviews.

take care

john

Search this Thread