Flying v. Driving Safari; Suntrek v Sunworld

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of the 2 tour providers offers the best service: Suntrek or Sunworld?

I am planning for 15 days tour to cover most of the major game parks and the coast. I am travelling alone (single supplement not cheap). The price quoted is about $6,700.00 for a private safari that includes flying between major destinations. Is this a reasonable price? I opted for flying as I was unable to get a straight answer from the tour operators as to how long it takes to drive between destinations as my limit is not to exceed 3 hours on the road to the next destination.

May you please review the itinerary below and perhaps make some suggestions/comments:
15 nights / 16 days FLIGHT PACKAGE in Kenya - $6,690.00

27th December 2010: Pick up from your hotel at 06.30 hours and transfer to the airport for your flight to Amboseli departing at 08.15 hours. Game drive as per the lodges schedule with meals and overnight at AMBOSELI SERENA SAFARI LODGE - Full board basis

28th December 2010: Full day in Amboseli National Park. Game drive as per the lodges schedule with meals and overnight at AMBOSELI SERENA SAFARI LODGE - Full board basis

29th December 2010: Fly back to Nairobi at 09.05 hours and connect for a flight to Samburu Game Reserve. Upon arrival in Samburu at 11.30 hours, you will be met and transfer to your Lodge. Game drive as per the lodges schedule with meals and overnight at SAMBURU LODGE - Full board basis

30th & 31st December 2010: Full days in Samburu Game Reserve with game drives as per the lodges schedule in a shared vehicle. Meals and overnight at SAMBURU LODGE - Full board basis

01st January 2011: After breakfast, transfer to the airstrip for your flight to Masai Mara departing at 09.30 Hrs. upon arriving in Masai Mara Game Reserve at 11.00 Hrs met and transfer to Mara Bush Camp for lunch. Game drives as per the camps schedule in a shared vehicle. Meals and overnight at MARA BUSH CAMP - Full board basis

02nd & 03rd January 2011: Full day in Masai Mara Game Reserve. Game drive as per the camps schedule with meals and overnight at MARA BUSH CAMP - Full board basis

04th January 2011: Morning game drive. Early lunch at the camp. After lunch transfer to the airstrip for your flight to Mombasa departing at 14.00 Hrs. Upon arrival in Mombasa at 16.00 Hrs met and transfer to Severin Sea Lodge. Overnight at SEVERIN SEA LODGE - Half board basis

05th January 2011: Full day in North Coast. All activities undertaken are payable direct. Overnight at SEVERIN SEA LODGE - Half board basis

06th January 2011: Pick up from Severin Sea Lodge and transfer to Turtle Bay Beach Club in Malindi. Overnight at TURTLE BAY BEACH CLUB - All inclusive basis

07th January 2011: Full day in Malindi. Overnight at TURTLE BAY BEACH CLUB - All inclusive basis

08th January 2011: you will be transferred to Malindi Airstrip by the hotel vehicle for your flight to Lamu departing at 16.30 Hrs. Upon arrival in Lamu at 17.40 Hrs, met and transfer to Banana House. Overnight at BANANA HOUSE - Bed & Breakfast basis

09th & 10th January 2011: Full days in Lamu. Overnight at BANANA HOUSE - Bed & Breakfast basis

11th January 2011: Transfer to the airstrip in time for your flight to Nairobi departing at 16.00 Hrs. Upon arrival in Nairobi at 18.00 Hrs, met and transfer to your town Hotel or a place of your choice in Nairobi.

End of services!

Total Cost of the safari based on the above programme:

US$. 6,690.00 per single client

The above quotation is Inclusive of:

- One way transfer from Nairobi Hotel to Wilson Airport
- Return flights with Safari Link Aviation: NAIROBI / AMBOSELI NATIONAL PARK / NAIROBI / SAMBURU GAME RESERVE / MASAI MARA GAME RESERVE
- One way flight with Mombasa Air Aviation: MASAI MARA GAME RESERVE / MOMBASA
- One way flight with Mombasa Air Aviation: MALINDI / LAMU
- One way flight with Safari Link Aviation: LAMU / NAIROBI
- One way transfer from Moi International Airport to Severin Sea Lodge
- One way transfer from Severin Sea Lodge to Turtle Bay Beach Club - Malindi
- One way transfer from Turtle Bay Beach Club to Malindi airstrip
- Return boat transfers in Lamu
- Return arrival / departure airstrip transfers in Amboseli National Park
- Return arrival / departure airstrip transfers in Samburu Game Reserve
- Return arrival / departure airstrip transfers in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Scheduled game drives (one game drive in the morning and another game drive in the afternoon) in a shared vehicle in Amboseli National Park, Samburu Game Reserve & Masai Mara Game Reserve
- 02 nights accommodation at Amboseli Serena Safari Lodge in a standard room on game package basis
- 03 nights accommodation at Samburu Lodge in a standard room on game package basis
- 03 night’s accommodation at Samburu Lodge in a standard tent on game package basis inclusive of afternoon coffee / tea, and camp fire nibbles & laundry.
- 02 nights accommodation at Severin Sea Lodge in a standard room on half board basis
- 02 nights accommodation at Turtle Bay Beach Club in Lamu rooms on all inclusive basis inclusive of 3 meals, Kenyan cocktails, soft drinks, beer, juice, wines(South African or Italian,) local spirits, evening entertainment, complementary email services.
- 03 nights accommodation at Banana House in a standard room on bed & breakfast basis
- Park entrance fees for Amboseli National Park, Samburu Game Reserve and Masai Mara Game Reserve
- One way airport transfer from Wilson Airport to Nairobi Hotel on the last day
- Extra lunch from Mara Bush Camp on 04th January 2011

The above quotation is Exclusive of:

- Items of personal nature i.e. beverages, laundry, telephone, souvenirs etc
- Travel / medical insurance
- Tips / gratuities for driver / guide and hotel staff
- Change in itinerary
- Any extras not mentioned above e.g. extra meals
- Visa fee
- Any other extras
- Accommodation in Nairobi & transfer where not mentioned
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM

You have 8 nights in safari camps and 7 nights in beach resorts. Is this the mix you want? Me, I'd like to stay more at the safari camps and less at the resorts. You love beaches, you've been to beaches before? Have you been on safari before? Maybe a 10 safari to 5 beach ratio? But this would also likely raise the cost?

regards - tom
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM

I have the same question/concern as Tom. Keeping the driving down to 3 or less hours can be tough in Kenya and with your itinerary it would not even be possible to drive it without a day between Amboseli and Samburu.

I have no comment on your two companies.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:11 AM

I agree with the comments made above. The price seems really fair though (even cheap?) considering your single supplement.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Can't imagine either company couldn't provide estimate of drive times.
Nairobi/Amboseli - 4-4.5/hrs each way
Nairobi/Samburu - 5-6/hrs
Nairobi/Masai Mara - 5/hrs
Samburu/Mara - mot recommended to drive... too long

Also, as you're visiting Amboseli and Samburu, know these are both "elephant" parks and wonder whether this is what you wanted? If I had my choice, I'd select Samburu that also has species not found elsewhere. Maybe consider, instead of Amboseli, head up to Nanyuki to spend a few days on the private Ol Pejeta Conservancy (Ol Pejeta Bush Camp is a great choice), where you can do both day and night game drives; from here you can fly to Samburu

As others, are you going on safari or prefer "beach-hopping?"

I'd certainly extend safari then spending on the beach... personal choice, of course.

Where are you traveling from? A country without beach or nearby? Also, know that January is "summer" in Kenya, especially the coastal areas that are also humid. And while most beach properties have ceiling fans, I'd seriously consider air conditioning at those you show... if only for sleeping. Ask if this would be important.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Sunworld, no question. I've used both companies, and while Suntrek were fine (this was quite a few years ago), you get a much more professional service from Sunworld. I used them in 2009 and would heartily recommend them. They have well qualified driver/guides, too.

Richard