Search

Can a safari be too long?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a safari be too long?

I am planning my first trip to Kenya having visited Botswana and Zimbabwe in August 2005. I want to try and see as much as possible but with the itinerary I am working on am worried that I might burn myself out with all the travel between parks and game drives. This will be a private safari with my partner with all travel by road.

My tentative itinerary -

2 nights Nairobi
1 night Mt Kenya
3 nights Samburu
1 night Sweetwaters
2 nights Nakuru
5 nights Masai Mara
2 nights Amboseli
2 nights Tsavo West
4 nights Mombasa

Is this too much? Should I drop one or two places and stay longer in others? Are planning on travelling in August mainly to see the migration. Any feedback much appreciated
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:16 PM

I wouldn't drive between the Mara and Amboseli. At least fly back to Nairobi and then drive to Amboseli. Otherwise, it would take around 10 hours and you really need an overnight somewhere in between. The other drives are OK with Nakuru-Mara being the longest stretch taking around 6 hours.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Good catch Patty. That is a long trip from the MAra to Amboselli. There is a group that is planning on recording a route directly from the Mara to the Arusha Nairobi Hwy sometime this year. Their plan is to open more of this area to tourists for the property owners, and tie that in to the Amboselli track. Then tourists need not lose time passing through Nairobi. Still, thats 170kms as the bird flys, so it will not be quick either, just interesting.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Twenty two (22) nights safari. Too long??? You mean too many nights (22) or too many camps (9)? I'd say for sure too many camps.
Our last safari was 18 nights (4 camps) and we felt that was a bit too much, at the time. But now I'm not so sure , I can hardly wait to get back on safari. I know many here do safaris much longer than even 22 nights.
Hope that helps. (yeah, I'm sure it did ).
regards - tom
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM

No, it cannot be too long in my opinion but it can cost too much.

I like Patti's flying suggestion.

Some questions to consider in deciding if this is too much: Has your partner been on safari before too? How long was the Botswana & Zimbabwe trip? Did you get any symptoms of burnout on that trip? Any transportation drives (other than game drives) on that trip and how did those go? How would either of you feel if one decided to sit out a game drive and enjoy the tent/lodge, etc? Is Africa your passion or like any other trip?

Never been to Tsavo or Mombasa, but I'd take a Mombosa day and add it to Tsavo since Tsavo is so big.

What a marvelous, comprehensive itinerary! I wouldn't reduce it (in fact I mentioned one more day in Tsavo) but if you think it will be too much you could ax Amboseli and Tsavo, end big in the Mara, then hit the beach.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your advice. Yes Africa is my passion, and my partners as well. Our Bots/Zim trip consisted of a 6 night fly-in in Bots and 6 nights driving in Hwange, after having spent 11 nights in Egypt. As with most people this just left us longing for more! We have to travel from Australia so want to try and and fit in as much as we can, as we dont know if Kenya will be on the travel radar again for quite some time. Namibia and Zambia will be the next African adventure. Thats the problem I have with Africa, so many wonderful places to see, not nearly enough time to do it all.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:48 AM
sandi

As you're spending 3/nts at Samburu (elephant experieince and unique species), I'd eliminate Amboseli. Add the time to Tsavo and visit both West and East on your way to Mombasa.

You certainly, even if flying from the Mara to NBO, if then driving to Amboseli, not make the drive to Tsavo the same day. Rather, recoup with a "chill" evening and overnight in NBO; early next morning (fly) or drive next morning to Tsavo West, then to East, and finally to Mombasa. Note though, the Mombasa road is long and very very dusty.

If you choose the above, you can drive back to NBO from the Mara; save the flying to and in/around Tsavo and Mombasa.

Tsavo is very large with such varied eco systems, it deserves time. And, from Tsavo West, you can get good views of Kili (as you would in Amboseli), weather dependent.

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Mopsy,
Since both of you are real into Africa, then I think this is not too much.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:13 PM

No....