Flights JNB to Maun - Air Botswana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they still as unreliable as ever, four flights with them always diverted.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 08:04 AM

You are 0 for 4. My odds are better at about 75% no diversions or major delays.

Check this recent account by Kimburu.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...e-kalahari.cfm

"However our 23-day itinerary was kindly extended to 26 days by Air Botswana, whose flight from Maun to Johannesburg was craftily converted to a flight from Maun to Gabarone in mid-air. “This is your captain speaking and I have a really nice surprise. Instead of taking you to Johannesburg and risk getting this rust bucket stranded there again, why don’t we land in Gabarone so you can see our fabulous, shiny international airport. We are sorry if you have a connecting flight, but …. well, actually we are not really sorry but I will personally be slightly embarrassed when I see you hopping up and down on the runway, beetroot-faced in front of a junior member of staff who has no more idea than you why we are doing this. I hope you enjoyed your flight up until this point and do want to thank you for your slightly ballsy decision to fly Air Botswana.” What a surprise! And then two days extra holiday in Johannesburg at their expense. This must be what they call “secret season” - I remember reading about that somewhere. In fact, it was all so secret that Air Botswana decided it would be better not to tell Thai Airways or to rebook us – better we have another lovely surprise at the airport (after telling us it was “taken care of” and giving us some paper to support that, just to make sure we didn’t spoil the surprise by contacting Thai Airways ourselves). Anyway, it was all good in the end – we’re back home and my wife unexpectedly got to visit the deWildt cheetahs on her birthday (that part was not paid by Air Botswana). And would I fly with Air Botswana again? Absolutely! For the record the official reason for the landing was technical problems and we will never, ever know the whole story."
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 11:36 AM

I hoep to fly them in march...let the adventure begin.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM

All 4 of your flights with them were diverted? I'd say is a bizarre bad luck situation - hopefully your luck with them will turn for the better!!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Yep all 4 but the first one wasn't there fault, we couldn't land at Mashatu because the fire engine at the airport had broken down got diverted to Maun and sat there for 4 hours- not what you need when you have travelled non stop from LA.

Return fligh same trip diverted to Gabs just made connection in JNB