Flight times in Botswana

May 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Flight times in Botswana

Some more practical advice please. I get air sick and so have to dose myself up. How long is the flight between JNB and Maun & then how long are the small flights likely to be between camps. We are flying Maun to Nxabega, Nxabega to Sandibe, Sandibe to Savute, Savute to Livingstone and Livingstone to Maun.

Thanks, Ruth
May 20th, 2004, 09:57 PM

I don't recall the exact time of Livingstone to Maun but my husband got sick. One trick is to ask the chef at the camps for fresh ginger. You put it under your tongue. Also, tell the pilot you tend to get airsick and he will let you ride up with him if there is room there. Don't wear your jacket on the plane, it makes it too hot (this is important because some of the planes are so small you cannot take off your jacket once in your seat).
May 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM

ruthie, the flight from jburg to maun is a little under 2 hrs in a regular sized jet so hopefully that will be ok for you serving drinks and a snack. the other flights you will be taking will average about 20-30 min. they can be a little rough so be prepared for that. hope you do well in the air and have a great time.
May 21st, 2004, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone - i think I can cope with 30 minutes without bailing out!

Clematis, I haven't ever before heard that fesh ginger helps - I'll certainly try that.
May 21st, 2004, 07:19 PM

Ruthie -- our longest flight was Savute to Nxabega -- we had to land to let people off twice on the way. Still it didn't take more than 45 min. I loved the little flights, they weren't bad at all and the scenery is astounding. We did the same 3 camps (didn't go to V Falls) and we liked Sandibe the very best, although each of the three was wonderful in its own way.
May 21st, 2004, 07:55 PM

Ruthie, leaving Victoria Falls area we had a road transfer and then a boat transfer to get into Botswana. From there we had 1 1/2 hour flight to get to Stanley's camp (Botswana). It was our longest small plane flight.
May 27th, 2004, 06:43 PM

The flight from Joburg to Maun was 1 hr 40 minutes on a 727 jet. The flights within Botswana were 30-40 minutes on 6 -12 seaters.

Search this Thread