Flight time US to JNB

May 24th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Flight time US to JNB

Loks like South african airways has the quickest arrival from the US (Midwest) to JNB. For people who have taken the A.M. flight arriving in JNB the next day A.M. What is the air time from ATL or JFK to JNB? Is there a long layover in cape verde? I hear the flight is 11 hours, but with the time change, it appears that somethings off.

Probably and old beaten question, but thanks.
May 24th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Atlanta to J'Burg is about 17 hours I think you have not taken into account the time difference.

It is about an hour in Cape Verde but it is very starnge you cannot get off the plane and you have to take your hand luggage and put it on your knee until it is counted.

I think this is still the quickest way.

Your journey will however will be well worthwhile South Africa is a wonderfull country
May 24th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Our flight NYC to J'burg was 15 hours on the way over; returning it was 19 hours with a stop in Senegal where we had to stay on board. It was essentially a refueling stop before we headed across the pond bucking headwinds all the way back.
May 24th, 2005, 07:47 AM

colind is correct. It is definitely NOT 11 hours or shorter.

With all the horror stories about the cramped SAA Airbus aircraft flying that route (even letters of complaint published in SAA's inflight magazine!) I will personaly strongly consider flying via Europe next time I have to go to the US. As a tall person I was already badly cramped on the 747s that flew that route and would go nuts if I had to sit in anything more badly cramped for 17+ hours.
May 24th, 2005, 08:34 AM

I believe that from ATL to JNB there is a layover in Cape Verde only on certain days of the week. I think it depends on whether the flight stops in Cape Town, and then continues to Jo'burg, or just goes to Jo'burg. I know that in May 2004, there was no stop on the way over. That flight is about 14 hours long. The stop adds about 3 hours, I think.

From JNB to the US there is always a stop for refueling. The high altitude of Johannesburg means that the plane can't hold as much fuel starting from there as it can starting from the US.

Personally, I was more comfortable on that SAA flight last year than on Virgin the previous year. Virgin uses a 747, but the seats are so crammed together that you can barely breathe, and the cushions are so thin you can feel the metal underneath. The airbus is configured 2-4-2, so my husband was happy in his window seat and I was happy in my aisle seat, and we didn't have to sleep next to a stranger like you do in a 747 with the 3-6-3- configuration, or whatever it is.
May 24th, 2005, 08:46 AM

chuck,

You may want to consider breaking up your flight by flying direct to London and then enjoying a stopover followed by a direct flight from London to Joburg.

Personally, I go crazy after more than about 12 hours straight in an airplane. I would much rather limit the maximum time to about 11 hours.

More than likely you will not be adding any cost by going from, say, Chicago direct to London and then London to Joburg, than if you were to go Chicago-JFK or Atlanta-Joburg.
May 24th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Delta shows 16.5 hours from ATL. Everyone will have a different way to handle this trip but I just go for it. After 11 hours in a plane, what's 5 or 6 more. It's still just torture.

To me, if you break it up in London it's just more work. I don't have the luxury of vacation time to spend in London, and besides - if I'm on my way to Africa I can't get there soon enough.

The hardest part for me is the one hour stop in Cape Verde. My first trip (2002) they didn't stop there on the way from Atlanta. The dumbest flight I ever took was last year. I got on in Johannesburg and did not know that we went to Capetown first and then to Atl. Talk about a long time on a plane.
May 24th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Why not look up SAA's timetable?

Every day of the week:
SA210 ATL-SID (Sal, Cape Verde) 10:30a 9:30p Duration 8:00
SA210 SID-JNB 10:30p 10:20a+1 Duration 8:50
Total 17:50

SA209 JNB-SID 7:50p 1:50a+1 Duration 9:00
SA209 SID-ATL 2:50a 8:50a Duration 8:30
Total 18:30

Airbus 340

All flights from ATL and JFK (and future from IAD) are one-stop both ways, at least this summer (N. Hemisphere).
May 24th, 2005, 10:57 AM
sandi

I'm with sundowner. If I'm going to Afree-kah, I want to go to Afree-kah! Doesn't make any difference whether it's Eastern or Southern. Not London, Madrid, Paris - but straight on. Time enough to catch up on sleep once there, if you even have to.

Though, if flying from the West Coast, I might... "might" consider a stop... nah! After 10-hours, what's another 6... not much. Chuck, just go for it!

May 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. For me the best bet is to bite the bullet and go for the gold. Straight to Africa.

Chuck

Search this Thread