Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

First Trip to Turkey: Eastern Part Worth a Visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! Well, my husband and I decided that our intro to Asia will be via Turkey (before we tackle India and the Himalayan kingdoms).

While we are very interested in sights in the western part of the country, my interest is piqued by the less-mentioned eastern regions (to the north and south).

For those who have been, what is there to see here? How does it differ culturally/landscape-wise/etc. from the the west (stopping at Cappadocia)? Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM

Eastern Turkey is fascinating and worth the energy to see it. We also crossed over into Armenia and saw the ancient city of Ani which I enjoyed...just green grass, ruins and wind...but it was neat!

I think Eastern is a bit more rugged, but you feel the many cultures more there I think!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:40 AM

I didn't go all the way East, but went as far as the Adana & Gaziantep region. For me it was worth it to see sites mentioned in Biblical history: Haran and Antioch. If I didn't have that particular interest, then I probably would have skipped Adana, although it is a good base for a day trip to Mt Nemrut, which is an incredible monument to megalomania -- a gravel pyramid on top of a mountain, decorated with huge statues (of which the heads still remain, each 5-6 feet high).
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:46 AM

One other thing...it was fascinating to see how the culture changed as one moved East in the country. In Istanbul for instance, you see women in every combination of garments. Some are stylish and modern and look as if they could be walking down a street in New York.
Others are dressed in skirts and blouses and headscarves. There is a broad range of acceptable clothing.

But as you go farther East, the norm changes. Almost all the women wear skirts (no pants) and the skirts become longer, and the headscarves cover more of the neck. So from a cultural point of view it is interesting.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:28 AM
aby

Hi Rachella

Eastern Turkey is one of my 10 best around-the-world places
and one of the least touristic - you meet far less tourists than you meet in Africa
if you need more specific info -don't hesitate to ask

aby

P.S. "the ancient city of Ani" the old capital of Armenia is in Eastern Turkey and not in Armenia
(So is Mt. Ararat which many believe that it is in Armenia..)
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Aby is right I guess. Im old and have no mind...sure seemed like we crossed the border. OH well....I was there I have the pics to prove it!!

As for Mt. Ararat, we stayed at a hotel on the highway that runs parallel and had great views of it while we ate. Its stunning!