Search

First time Safari....recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Safari....recommendations please

Hello,

I am keen on taking my Sibling and parents on a Safari in Africa for my Graduation 'gift'. We would like to go anytime between April 21 to May 12, 2007

Can anyone please suggest whether this time of year is appropriate to go for a Safari and if so any suggestions for first time Safari goers.

Thanks a lot,
RJ
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Just for starters, to toss some numbers around. How many people, for how long a trip (days), budget $$$$ total (let's say $$$$ excluding airfare to Africa, add that in later).
regards - tom
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:04 AM
santharamhari

rvaccha,

April is right round the corner, in terms of safari lodge/camp bookings. So, in some countries like say, Botswana some of the more popular destinations may be fully booked up. However, you can take a chance a check with your travel agent.

I recommend Botswana.

If not, South Africa makes a great first trip also. You can visit Cape Town and the wineries and then top it off, with safari in the Sabi Sands game reserve adjoining the Kruger park. You may get good rates for some lodges in the Sabi Sands that have low season rates. Good luck!!!

Hari

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. We are four of us, two of us in our late 20's and our parents in the 50's.

We are looking to go for about a week and have never gone on a Safari before, thus really looking for a 'primer' sort of experience, which provides:

1) Viewing of assortment of Animals

2) Safe environment, both in terms of man and beast (i.e. minimze danger of loss of personal items etc, theft etc.)

3) Comfortable accomodations, with good amenities. Thus we are not looking for ultra high end Ritz Carlton type but definitely a Hyatt/Marriott full service equivalent. (Yes I know I will not find these brands, I am just using them as an equivalent for service/facilities)

4) Availability of Vegetarian food (no meat, no egg), Dairy, Vegetables, Rice, Bread are ok.

5) Rest and Recreation options, e.g. shopping, ability to rest in the afternoons, etc. My parents are not super active.

Thats about it really. Please keep the thoughts coming.

Thanks,
RJ
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Looking at your #1-5 points and your time frame between planning and booking, I'm going to suggest Sabi Sands in South Africa. There are many camps there in many price ranges.

I picked Mala Mala for its legendary game viewing, but there are many others.

Good places fill fast, so don't delay. Congratulations on graduating and having such generous parents!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM
santharamhari

Lynn has already suggested Mala Mala. They certainly are very popular around here.

Other options in the Sabi Sands would be, Londolozi, Simbambilli, Exeter Dulini or leadwood or river lodge, Djuma Vuyutela, Elephant hills, Lion Sands........talk to your travel agent to find one suitable option for you. I covered the other lodges as they are all quite different in terms of pricing.

Hari

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, I am gifting the trip to my family, as part of my graduation through my college earnings.

I dont have a Travel Agent who works with Safari's, thus I would need your help in deciding. It seems like Kruger is the area to go to, but I am confused as to which lodge...

Thanks,
RJ
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Contact Africa Adventure Company out of FL. They put together our trip last year which was awesome. We took our family of 8 ages 70 down to 4-1/2. They did a marvelous job. Go, go, go. It was the best trip ever. Betty
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM

I need a correction since I got it mixed up. Your parents and your sibling lare lucky to have such a generous family member as you.

Kruger is the public part of the reserve and Sabi Sands is the private part. Kruger is generally a little less expensive and allows self driving, but you can also go with a guide. You can arrange your own bookings in Kruger or have an agent do it.
Try http://www.mtbeds.com/ and pull down Kruger to have a look.

Sabi Sands can be a little more expensive to very expensive and you generally use a guide & tracker on game drives. You can use an agent or book directly.

Here are two companies with South Africa itineraries to give you a hint. Often South Africa itineraries combine Cape Town and the vineyards with a safari. You don't have to. I'm doing just a safari in South Africa when I leave in June.

http://www.go2africa.com/south-africa/tours/

http://www.africa-adventure.com/prog...hafrica00.html

Please post again as your plans develop.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM
santharamhari

some less expensive lodges in the Sabi Sands are Elephant hills, Djuma bush camp. Djuma Vuyutela is a bit more luxurious.

Please do a search on sabi sands in the search box. There were many threads from prior months where, there was a lot of information posted on rates for the various lodges for various seasons.

also look at egnu.com for a general indication of prices. They are usually a bit more expensive, but, their website is indicative of the price ranges and the complete listing of the various lodges.

Hari

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:21 AM

I think Hari means Elephant Plains and I believe it is the lowest price of the Sabi Sand lodges and gets very good reports. Another lower end lodge but a little more than EP is Chitwa Chitwa.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:44 PM
santharamhari

PB,

Thanks.......yes, that's what i meant Ele plains.

Hari