Old Jan 28th, 2020, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

First SA adventure

Anyone stayed at:
Sunscape Gardens.....Cape Town.
Shiduli Game Lodge....for safaris
The Kingdom, Zimbabwe....Victoria Falls
Johanesburg Balalaika...

We’re booked on a tour. I have read a few reviews but I am always interested what the Fodorites say.
We do have a couple of lunches and dinners on our own and would appreciate ant restaurant suggestions.
Price, any......BTW, what is appropriate tipping practice in SA for restaurants and Safari guides?
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 04:02 AM

Do you mean SunSquare Cape Town Gardens? I've never stayed at the hotel, but Gardens is a nice district of Cape Town, very near where I stay when visiting relatives, most recently a month ago. It will be easy to get to the V&A Waterfront and the Table Mountain cableway by Uber from there. Staying with South Africans, we tip maybe 10% in restaurants, and a small tip to the Uber driver either in cash or on the app. Tip in Rand, the local currency. Game lodges will suggest what tips are expected there.

Quality is very high in Cape Town restaurants, and menu prices are much lower than in the US and UK, except for the very best internationally known ones. We usually eat somewhere more modest, like the seafood restaurant https://www.codfather.co.za in Camps Bay, or the Portuguese restaurant Dias Tavern which is not far from the waterfront. Decor is basic and you can dress informally, but the food is great and you will dine with South Africans rather than tourists.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 07:50 AM

I've stayed at the Balalaika several times but before it became a Marriott. It is a 3 star hotel, so modest, love the gardens as few hotels in that area have open spaces like that. Breakfast was great, esp if you can sit outside in the sun. It is walking distance to Sandton City shops and the mall which is convenient. The attached restaurant the Bullrun is very good, have had many great meals there. Avoid the Hard Rock Cafe in Nelson Mandela Square, food was terrible, the Maximillien in the DaVinci hotel is pretty good (hotel is gorgeous, have stayed there too) and the Butchers Shop is also a good place to eat.

Cape Town has many places to eat, too many to list that are very good. Tip 10% in restaurants,
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 05:07 AM

If you are looking for a high end restaurant, this Condé Nast link may help. The only one on the list I’ve ever eaten at is Willoughby & Co at the V&A Waterfront, and the sushi was excellent, but the restaurant is in the shopping mall. There are other good restaurants at V&A Waterfront overlooking the docks.
https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/b...s-in-cape-town
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. This is just the kind of info I was looking for and will definitely check out all the suggestions.

Yes, SunSquare Cape Town Gardens.