Search

Financial Tips for Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Financial Tips for Tanzania

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are arriving in Tanzania for a two week birding/wildlife safari on May 31. Our safari is private, and the price was all inclusive and has already been paid. I have two questions: First, how much of a tip do we give our guide and our driver per day per person (again, there are only two of us on the trip). Secondly, what is the best way to carry money - cash, credit cards, travellers' cheques? And, are there any thoughts about how much money to take aside from tips?
Thank you so much for any help.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:34 PM

Thank you Jandj for asking this question, because I have the exact same question. Also, if anyone could give an idea on cost of having laundry done and the cost of bottled water? And did you hide you money on your body when you were out of your room?
Thank you
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM

JandJ- It sounds like you have 2 separate people, a driver and a guide? The recommended amount is $10 a day for a couple each for a driver/guide. I didn't see anyone who had both, in Tanzania the drivers are the guides too. We carried our money on our bodies that I called waist wallets. They are nylon with long elastic belts. There is no metal on them and are not detectable when you go through security. Never leave any money away from your body at any time. It will be gone. That's just how it is there. Never. All forms of money went into these wallets before we left home, divided so one person wouldn't have too large a bulge. We transferred a certain amount we would need during a day into my husbands wallet in the morning for that day. We did not carry any travelers cheques, all cash and one credit card. You won't need to worry about laundry and a bar tab if you are booked all incl. You can buy with a credit card at the gift shops, but of course you wouldn't use one with a street vendor. We only used the credit card in the better camps and where we felt it was safe. No mishaps and no one would have believed how much cash we had on us. Is there anything else? Who booked your trip? Liz
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Dear Liz,
Thank you so much for your really helpful reply. I had actually planned to e-mail you this morning anyway because I just finished reading your wonderful trip report and drooling over your fantastic pictures. I was also excited because we are staying at the Tarangire Safari Lodge which you passed and said such positive things about.
We booked our trip with Birding and Beyond Safaris. It is for 13 nights and we do actually have two gentlemen with us - a driver and a guide.
My husband and I are grandparents too and although we have travelled extensively (we were in China last summer and in Thailand and Cambodia during January), this will be our first safari. We are very, very excited and celebrated last week when we got our visas for Tanzania.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Dear Liz,
I was actually not finished writing to you but yet again pressed the wrong button and had my reply posted (without even rereading it).
I just wanted to tell you that my husband and I wish you and Max many years of happy travel wherever you decide to go. And, thank you for all the postings and information and joy you have shared with us.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:04 AM

jandj- Thank you very much. It is kind people such as you that have made this such an enjoyable experience. If there is any information that is needed by newcomers I know how much it is needed so that people can be comfortable and not have to worry about these kind of details. You'll be fine and I envy you the choice location just inside the Park. It is so pretty. I can imagine how excited you must be, only 3+ weeks left. You will get to see lots, believe me. I hope the Park is still green, it was so lush and pretty. As I said those on your side of the Park saw a leopard and lions. Watch for Bush Babies too. We didn't get to see any but maybe you will. Liz