Exotic destination needed!

Dec 4th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Exotic destination needed!

We are looking for a destination next Dec. that is exotic, non-malarial, full of wildlife to go to with our 2 kids. We have been to Costa Rica, Belize, and Australia. We loved Australia but are looking for more exotic. Thinking of Thailand. Malaysia? Need a place where the weather will be ok in Dec./Jan. Any Suggestions Fodorites?
Dec 4th, 2003, 08:37 AM

If you're specifically thinking of Thailand or Malaysia, both of which are great, you may have better luck on the Asia branch. I saw orangutans, proboscis monkeys and other wildlife in Sarawak -- one of the two Malaysian provinces on Borneo -- but have more limited wildlife experience in peninsular Malaysia (limited to viewing trees full of fireflies on a river tour from KL). Have been to Thailand many times, but only business, and only wildlife I saw was the wild nightlife on Patpong Road, not the type of place for kids.
Dec 4th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. What time of year did you go to Sarawak? Do you know what the weather is like there in Dec.? Did you need malaria pills? Thanks.
Dec 4th, 2003, 08:54 AM

I was there in late December, and I didn't take malaria pills. I think Sabah, the other Malaysian province on Borneo, is better for wildlife. I was in Kuching on business and spent a few extra days traveling around Sarawak, but if I had time I would have went to Sabah.

The best wildlife experience in the area is Komodo Island in Indonesia, but the lodgings aren't great and its a far trip with not much else, but you could combine it with Bali, which is what we did.
Dec 4th, 2003, 01:00 PM

We were in Sabah 2 years ago in early February. SDhangri-la has 2 hotels there one in town and one about 5 miles out and shuttle runs between the two hotels. they are both kid friendly. The one outside of town has its own oraganutang (sorry about spelling) sanctuary which is excellent.

Search this Thread