Search

Exeter- Sabi Sands?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
santharamhari

Exeter- Sabi Sands?

Out of curiosity, just wondering the traversing area of exeter....now that it is under the CCA wing. Anyone know?

Thanks
Hari

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:27 PM
santharamhari

ttt

Anyone???

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay...drumroll please...I have secured an answer for you on Exeter's traversing area! This just in from the fine people over at CCAfrica:

The Exeter lodges have traversing rights on Inyati, Ulusaba, Leopard Hills, Savanna and Idube (total of 10 000 hectares)

Kirkman's Kamp has traversing rights on Mala Mala.

(They also attached a pdf file of a map that I will send you by e-mail...if anybody else would like a copy go ahead and drop me an e-mail and I will happily oblige).
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM

So I do not look like a slacker, I did not go to work on this until Hari topped this!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM
santharamhari

Thanks, Rocco

Hari

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Hey, Rocco, has CC Africa extended Kirkman's traversing rights to all of Mala Mala, or is there just an overlapping area in the southern part of MM? When I was at Kirkman's in February, we weren't able to go very far north in MM and couldn't use the bridge to cross the Sand River.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM

ShayTay,

It is my understanding that it is limited to the southern portion of Mala Mala.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM

Kirkmans traverses the very southern portion of Mala Mala, the Charleston property. A good area for both Lion and Leopard as indeed all of MM is. Last year in this area while staying at Rattrays we ran across Kirkmans vehicles only twice, once they were good enough to take us to a Lion sighting while our own vehicle was kaput. You are only likely to see Kirkmans vehicles if you stay at Rattrays, most of the time, Main Camp is just too far from the southern portion of the property and so most guests dont get down there, there is so much game in the north, they dont need to.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM
santharamhari

Napamatt,

I may have seen the selati pride in that particular southern area.

Also the huge Halurani male leopard (sure i mis-spelt his name)

Hari

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Just to expand this a bit. When we were at MalaMala the ranger I think said that they had rules about how many vehicles were allowed at one sighting. Which is, max of 3 vehicles. And there was also a rule about cycling out if other vehicles were waiting. Anybody know exactly what all this is I'm trying to remember? Whatever, it never really got in our way, most we had were 2 vehicles at a time. Anyway, what I'm trying to get to - do other camps sharing SS have similiar guidelines?
This also reminds me. The vehicles at MalaMala were diesel engines. Very noise. The ranger said the animals paid no atttention to it. BUT it sure bothered this animal
regards -tom
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:57 PM
santharamhari

Tom,

Many camps have a rule as to max vehicles at sightings. In some cases, like at Kwando.....each vehicle stays at a sighting for a bit and then backs off into the background to give another vehicle the opportunity to get upclose. At this particular sighting, they had two vehicles right next to the lion pride........and then from a distance there were two more vehicles that arrived after a 20 minute time frame. Since they hv radios, i guess it's easy to assess exactly when to arrive on the scene.

Hari

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Hari

In the south, Selati pride is a good sized one and the Hlarulini male is a big boy.

Tom

3 vehicles per sighting, radio contact allows other vehicles to be in position. At sensitive sightings there will be less vehicles and none at all where appropriate, this sensitivity is one of the reasons that the animals, in particular Leopard are so relaxed. As far as diesel engines are concerned, I've never noticed a different reaction.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Agreed, the leopards at MalaMala are amazing. While you are 10 meters away they will sit in a tree and leisurely eat. Then drop out of the tree and walk right next to your vehicle.
Diesels. It is ME (I), who objects to the noisy diesel engines. Of course when observing, the ranger turns off the engine. Thank God.
And while I'm at it, are you listening MalaMala? We stayed at (upscale) Sable camp. And they charged you for bottled water and soft drinks!! I can understand charging for liquor, wine, etc, but for bottled water?? At those rates, give me a break (or drink).
regards - tom
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Tom

They do follow what's on this board. So keep being nice with the occasional complaint thrown in.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Well, we will be back at MalaMala (4 nights) in September. But probably not at Sable camp. Even Main camp should not charge for water or soda, in my opinion.
BTW, this is my only critism of MalaMala. So far my favorite safari camp. (Of the three I've been to )
regards - tom
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:37 AM
santharamhari

Tom,

IS it a new policy of theirs charging for water or soda? I dont remember being charged for that back in 2004.

Charging for water is ridiculous!!! It's not the money, but the principle....

Hari

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I'm talking about bottled water and soda/soft drinks. I don't know when they started charging. Just that they did in September 2005. I told our ranger how idiotic that was, but of course he could do nothing about it. You know, Sable camp is what, $750 pppn and you have to pay for bottled water? Come on now. Oh, of course water was included with meals, and coffee and tea. But soda, I don't think so, it came from the bar. Bottled water and soda for game drives and sundowners they charged.
I will be happy to report back on this after our 4 night stay with them this September
regards - tom
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:06 PM
santharamhari

Tom,

Sounds like a rip-off..........

Hari

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:58 AM

I just e-mailed the thread to the manager at MM.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM
santharamhari

Good idea

Hari