Exclusie use vehicles at Mala Mala and Londolozi

Jun 10th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Exclusie use vehicles at Mala Mala and Londolozi

Hi

We are thinking of visiting either Mala Mala and / or Londolozi in October. Does anyone know what they charge for exclusive use of vehicles ?

Phil
Jun 10th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Phil, at Mala Mala you have to pay US $140 per empty seat and they usually put six in a vehicle (2 per seat) so if you're with one person that would be $140x4= $560 per day (according to their web site).

Personally, I don't think it is worth it. Their drivers are excellent and will position the vehicle so everyone can have the maximum viewing opportunities.
Jun 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM

I will offer a contrary view -- we went to Londolozi and got a private vehicle so we could concentrate on photography and not be tied to a fixed schedule in the event of a fantastic sighting. We had a couple of 12 hour days (unplanned) and the staff were terrific in accommodating our short notice requests for breakfast, then lunch, then sundowners. Cost per day was $600.
Jun 10th, 2012, 01:45 PM

marysuenyc - was that $600 per day for your lodging, food and the vehicle? I love having my own vehicle for photography purposes but at Mala Mala, it would be an extra $560 per day on top of the regular lodging rate - $1,860 total per day for two people with a private vehicle. I'm sorry to say that $1,860 per day is out of my price range, but if Phil can afford it, a private vehicle is always best - especially if you are a photographer. Personally, I couldn't even consider it with Mala Mala. But it sounds like Londolozi may have better rates....
Jun 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Your private vehicle for photgraphy means you can view what you want when you want. Well, -not- really. A "popular" sighting still has to be shared with other vehicles/guests (even at MM), so, you may be waiting "stand by" to it. Or, your 10 mins viewing may be up and you have to rotate out. (Rangers/guides are very clever at "stand bys", they will drive 20 mins in long way around so you arrive to go in just as another vehicle leaves. All pre-arranged by radio).

If you're on a budget, you then have to weigh something like this - do I spend the $$$ for 5 days with a private vehicle, or for same $$$ stay 7 days in camp? I've always traded for the longer stay since game viewing is so serendipitous.

regards - tom
Jun 10th, 2012, 08:39 PM

I also had a private vehicle at Londo and if you get lucky and get the one that only seats two with swivel seats, its fantastic. The rates are about $600 per day and that is above the room rates. If you are a serious photographer, it may be worth it. Also Londo game viewing is fantastic and I would recommend it over MM for many reasons.

Mike
Jun 11th, 2012, 06:48 AM

Yes, the surcharge for a private vehicle is above the room rates. Expensive but depending on priorities, personalities, etc, it's worth it (for us). As noted above, different folks have different priorities!
Jun 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone !
Jun 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

By way of update, Mala Mala have confirmed that each empty seat is charged at $140 per day if you stay at Main or Sable camp. Therefore, if you re a couple you pay 4 x $140 = $560 per day. However, if you stay at Rattrays (where they only ever fill four seats), the charge is $200 per empty seat per day, i.e. $400 per day if you are a couple. The different price per empty seat tends to imply that it is partly about additional revenue generation as I assume their pool of vehicles can be used across all three camps.

Londolozi have quoted Rand 4000 per day, i.e. around $475 per day (the number of empty seats does not seem relevant).
Mar 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM

mytmoss, just curious, why would you recommend Londolozi over Mala Mala? We're trying to make that decision right now and would love to know your reasons. Thanks!
May 15th, 2013, 06:22 PM

Yes, please, I would like to know your thoughts between the 2 camps as well...thank you!
May 17th, 2013, 03:45 PM

Ive been to both camps... and while both are excellent, my preference was Londolozi.

We found the game viewing a lot better, especially with the leopards, which they are known for. We found the guiding better - but that could be hit or miss.

Mala Mala is a nice camp. It is very regimented though, with the number of rules they follow. Every Tuesday for instance was the same meal.

While I would return to either camp, if I had to choose one, it would definitely be Londolozi.
May 17th, 2013, 07:00 PM

I have not been to Londolozi. But I have been to MalaMala three times (also to 4 other camps in South Africa). I'd go back to MalaMala again, they have a great location on the Sand River and the largest territory in the Sabi Sand Reserve area. They also do not share their property (traversing rights) with other camps in Sabi Sand.

regards - tom

Search this Thread