Electricity adaptors

Dec 26th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Electricity adaptors

I will be spending 3 weeks in the Capetown area, and have checked any number of web sites regarding electic outlets/adaptors. I live in France, and can't tell whether the two pin Continental plug will fit. I have an adaptor for a UK 2 pin plug which looks as if it should work. Can anyone help?
Dec 26th, 2005, 04:30 AM

The typical SA plug is most similar - but not the same - as the "old" big, 3-round pin UK plug. In other words, not compatible with much of anything. We had to buy a multi-adaptor on arriving, around R20 if memory serves. You will see UK-type 3-square pin outlets, but my UK adaptor wouldn't fit into any of them. Your experience may differ.
Dec 26th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Carlux,

Your problem is far from being a unique one as many visitors to South Africa ask the exact same question as you have. Thus I set up the following website quite a while ago which should help you with all you need to know with regard to electrical plug usage in South Africa.

http://www.ilovecapetown.com/saplugs/plugs.htm

Hope this sorts out all for you.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Dec 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank I'll have a look. I'm happy to buy an adaptor - just concerned because in the French countryside, where I live, it's not easy for visitors to buy adaptors. Seems as if it's easier in SA
Dec 27th, 2005, 11:46 PM

The S.A. 15 amp plug and socket, as shown on Selwyn's site, is EXACTLY the same as a (very) old British plug. Our British colonial heritage. It is the British Standard #546, which describes both a smaller three-prong 5 amp and the 15 amp 15 amp plugs. The latter measures exactly 1 inch between any two pins. The 5 amp version used to also be used in S.A., but it is literally decades since I last saw one.

But as others have said, you can get an adaptor for the UK 3-pin in most hardware and travel stores. A variety of adaptors for the European 2-pin are even more commonly available, in most largish supermarkets. Another idea is to bring a short extension lead (which could also have multiple inputs and so accept multiple appliances), and then buy a (very commonly available) plug in S.A. and change the plug on the extension.
Dec 27th, 2005, 11:54 PM

But re-reading your OP more carefully, I realise now that discussion about the UK 3-pin is irrelevant. And as I said, adaptors for the 2-pin are very common. There is one that accepts two 2-pin and a S.A. 3-pin, an alternative one simply converts a single 2-pin, and a more recently available one accepts three 2-pins. All three of these are available in my local "Pick 'n Pay" supermarket.

Search this Thread