electrical adaptors

Feb 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

electrical adaptors

My husband and I are from Australia and leave on our first trip to Africa in May. We are travelling to South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Mozambique and were wondering about adaptors for each of these countries. I don't want to get there and find out we don't have the right adaptor and can't recharge the phone, camera or video camera. That would be awful, not the phone but the cameras. Thanks in advance.
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:01 PM

go to magellans.com and look at their electric connectivity page and they have pictures of all the adapters you'll need by country, and you can probably buy them in Oz.
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM

South Africa mainly uses the very old British round 3-pin plug. (A similar overall size to the current British rectangular 3-pin.)

You'll find adaptors here in travel and camping shops, and more recently also in the larger super/hypermarkets.

But you may also want to consider bring a short multi-plug extension that will take several applicances at once. And a small screwdriver. Then all you do when you arrive is buy a local plug and replace the Oz plug on your extension. Local plugs are even more widely available than adaptors, even small supermarkets will have them. And although the adaptors are not expensive, the plugs also cost much less.
Feb 26th, 2007, 11:04 PM

Hi Georgie2007

I am also Australian. You can buy the South African adaptor from Myers, near where they sell the luggage. That adaptor also applies to Botswana. I was told the same for Zimbabwe, and this is incorrect, but where I stayed amazingly had an Australian adaptor. Do not know about Mozambique.

Kind regards

Kaye
Mar 1st, 2007, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. I think we are all sorted now.