Search

egyptian cotton sheets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egyptian cotton sheets?

I will be leaving for Egypt end-March. Am quite excited for the shopping! Is anyone familiar with egyptian cotton sheets? Where can I buy them in Cairo? Is Egyptian cotton really much better? I've read that this is the best cotton, and was thinking maybe it would be much cheaper to get bed sheets in Cairo. Any advice?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:05 AM
sandi

You can probably buy.find Egyptian Cotton Sheets at the Bazaar where the locals shop. Any tour desk can advise where. But remember that the sizing will likely be in Meters, so if you're only familiar with Inches be sure to convert ahead of time.

However, from what I've heard from others, you're not likely to get colors, only white and beige, and the standard of quality for manufacturers shipping to the States might not be as stringent as what is acceptable for the Egyptian market.

Admittedly, Egyptian Cotton in a high thread counts are wonderful, so check the threach count of what you're purchasing. But when it comes down to the fact that you can get Egyptian Cotton at 300TC or higher for $40 set of doubles (top, bottom and 2 cases) make sure you do better than that and you get what you truly need. And don't forget sheets weigh alot, so you might get caught with overweigh luggage fees.

We once inquired of friends while on a trip to Turkey (known for the quality of their Turkish towels) where they buy their towels? Surprise, surprise - their answer, in the U.S. when then visit to see family. Apparently, the large options of colors, patterns, even quality aren't the same as what is shipped to the U.S. Keep this in mind as regards sheets, also.

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM

We had the same plan too, only to be disappointed. We went to numerous shops only to find the towels and sheets to be of lower quality than the Egyptian sheets and towels we get in the US. The prices were not anything spectacular either.

We passed on the sheets and towel in Egypt. And just bought some 500 Egyptian Thread count for $89 at Tuesday Morning this week. And we are sure they will fit our bed.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies! I was looking forward to buying bedsheets/linens but now will just have to lower my expectations so i won't get disappointed.

JackieSun: where is Tuesday Morning? Is that a store?

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 03:38 AM
sandi

daisy - Tuesday Morning is an online shopping site. Do a search on Google, but the link is real simple

www.tuesdaymorning.com

Take a look and you'll find Egyptian cotton sheets and lots of other items. Happy online shopping.

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:58 AM

In addition to the web site, Tuesday Morning has stores. There is one in my small Illinois city.

I find great deals on high quality Egyptian cotton towels there, as well as a lot of other stuff. The prices on sheets look good, but I haven't actually bought any.